Eligibility and Requirements
- All majors and minors in philosophy at UNLV are eligible to apply for our annual essay contest.
- Submissions may be on any philosophical topic and from any philosophical approach.
- Submissions may be a term paper or a revised term paper no longer than 30 pages (preferably shorter). We are particular interested in essays that contain a single sustained philosophical argument.
The winner will receive a certificate and a check for $250 and have his/her name inscribed on a plaque in the philosophy department.
Each student may submit one essay per year, and former recipients are not eligible. Please include a current mailing and email address with your submission. Essays should be submitted in person at CDC #4 to "Student Awards Committee/Essay Contest."
- 2020 - Emmanuel Yirdaw
- 2019 - Elijah Kreutzer
- 2018 - Catherine Galvez and J.D. Wagner
- 2017 - Remi Richard
- 2016 - Kristina Beske
- 2015 - Monelyssa Montehermoso
- 2014 - Henry Nikogosyan
- 2012 - Steven Berghel and Kristen Hurd
- 2011 - Brian Metzger
- 2009 - Joseph Bray
- 2007 - Jesse Fitts
- 2005 - Donovan Wishon
- 2004 - Niki Vrsnick