General Information

Where is Parking & Transportation Services located, and what are its hours of operation?

Parking & Transportation Services is located in the Claude I. Howard Building, two buildings west of Lied Library on Harmon Avenue, and can be located on the UNLV Campus Map. The department is open from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday-Friday.

Can I get an answer without coming into the office?

Yes, if you cannot find an answer to your question on this website, please call our office at 702-895-1300.

When is parking enforced?

School Year

  • Monday – Thursday: 7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
  • Friday: 7 a.m. – 1 p.m.
  • Academic Calendar


  • Monday – Thursday: 7 a.m. – 5 p.m.
  • Friday: 7 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Who enforces the parking rules?

Parking & Transportation Services is responsible for enforcing the parking rules established by the university. The university police enforce federal, state, municipal, and university parking rules.

Does UNLV provide any motorist assistance?

Yes. Parking & Transportation Services provides jump starts for dead batteries and tire-inflation assistance. These services are provided free of charge and can be accessed by calling 702-895-1300 for assistance.

What if I have an emergency and need help while on the UNLV campus?

For your convenience and safety, emergency phones are located throughout the campus. A blue light is attached to the top of each phone post for easy identification. You may also dial 9-1-1, 702-895-3669, and download the RebelSAFE mobile.

Why do I have to pay for parking?

UNLV Parking and Transportation Services is considered a self-funded or auxiliary department of the University. Tuition fees and tax payer funds are not used to fund the parking program so that those funds can further support the academic mission of the university. Since the purpose of the department is to protect and maintain the parking for those that use the areas, it does so by the issuance of permits coupled with rules and policies regulating their use. To provide the necessary revenues to function in this capacity, permits have a nominal fee associated with them. The fees generated from permits, combined with other revenues generated from a self-funded parking program (meters, citations, and events), go towards the operation, maintenance, and future development of parking. This is the basic standard and most common approach found at larger Universities across the country.

Is parking free over holiday breaks?

When school is not in session, as a courtesy, we do not enforce Student Parking. All other parking regulations are in effect.

What forms of payment do you take?

Parking and Transportation Services Office accepts cash, check, rebel cash, or any valid credit/debit card. Online purchases or transactions may be made with any valid credit/debit card.


Do I need a permit to park on the UNLV campus?

Yes, parking in any lot on campus, except Lot S, requires a permit, or your vehicle will be cited. This includes guests, visitors, speakers, performers, applicants, students, staff, faculty, deans, vendors, etc. Meters are available and do not require a permit. The cost of metered parking is $1 per hour.

Where can I purchase a parking permit?

Most permits can be purchased online. All permit types can be purchased at the Parking & Transportation Services office, and new students can also purchase parking permits at New Student Orientation held prior to the beginning of the fall and spring semesters.

How can I pay for my parking permit?

If you purchase your permit online, you can pay by credit card. When purchasing your permit at the Parking & Transportation Services office or at New Student Orientation, you can pay by cash, check, or credit card.

I lost my permit; it may have been stolen. What do I need to do?

If your permit is lost or stolen, you should go to Parking & Transportation Services to obtain a replacement permit. The cost to replace a permit is $15.

I found my permit that I thought was lost or stolen. Can I still use it?

No, once a permit is reported lost or stolen, it is voided in the computer system and is no longer valid, and the individual is subject to receiving a citation if the permit is used. Any permit found that was previously reported as lost or stolen must be returned to Parking & Transportation Services.

I am a visitor to the campus. Do I need a permit to park? Where can I park?

Visitors to the campus do not have to register their vehicles, but they must use metered areas or they may park in student spaces if they have a valid daily, weekly, or monthly permit displayed. Daily, weekly, and monthly parking passes may be purchased from the Parking & Transportation Services office. A metered lot specifically for visitors is located at the main entrance of campus, at Maryland Parkway and Harmon Avenue. The cost of metered parking is $1 per hour. Metered parking is also available in various lots throughout the campus.

I have a state-issued handicapped permit. Can I use it to park on campus?

Persons requiring parking on campus covered under ADA must have a valid state-issued handicap license plate or portable handicap tag. All individuals with a state-issued handicap parking placard must also purchase a campus handicap parking permit and display both in their vehicle. Visitors or those not displaying their University handicap permit must insert coin in the meter to cover the time spent. (see also permit types and legal brief).

I ride a motorcycle to campus. Do I need a permit? Where can I park?

Yes, a permit is required to park a motorcycle on campus. Motorcycles must park in areas designated for them and may not occupy automobile parking spaces. Motorcycles must display valid parking permits. Motorcycles cannot be operated on campus sidewalks or walkways.

I ride my bicycle/moped to campus. Do I need a permit? Can I lock it anywhere as long as it is not blocking traffic?

Bicycles are not required to have parking permits. Bicycles used on campus must be riden and parked with regard for the safety of pedestrians. Bicycle parking racks must be used, and bicycles cannot be parked or driven on pedestrian ramps to buildings, or in buildings. Mopeds are required to have a parking permit. Mopeds must be parked in motorcycle parking areas only. Mopeds are not allowed on campus sidewalks or walkways.

Can I park in meters with my permit?

No. Even with a valid permit, customers parking in metered spaces are required to pay for the space during hours of enforcement.

My friend gave me his permit. Am I able to use it?

Parking permits aren’t transferable between customers. When permits are purchased, they are assigned to a specific person’s parking account. Each individual needs to purchase their own parking permit for their own vehicles.

Can I get a refund for my parking permit or bus pass?

You can receive a pro-rated refund for your parking permit for the time remaining. However, short term permits that have been scratched and transit pass purchases are final and are non-refundable.

I forgot my permit. What should I do?

If you have a semester or longer permit, you can stop by Parking and Transportation Services with your photo ID and vehicle information, and we can issue you a free temporary permit.

How do I obtain a Residence Hall Permit?

In order to obtain a resident parking permit, you must come to Parking and Transportation Services with a photo ID. Once we verify your resident status on campus, you may pick one of two lots you’d like to park in. Once the purchase is made, you may only park in the resident lot that was chosen. You may not park in any other resident or student space on campus.

Are short term permits available for purchase anywhere else on campus?

Yes, student and visitor permits are sold at several locations to include; The visitor booth located in the Visitor Lot at Harmon and Maryland, the help desk in the Student Union, or the Box Office located on the first floor of the Cottage Grove Parking Garage. You may also purchase hourly and daily permits at the Pay and Display machines located at each entrance of the Tropicana Garage. The Pay By Phone app, which allows customers to purchase permits or pay for meters remotely through their smart phones, is another great option.

How can I obtain a handicapped placard?

State Handicapped Placards are issued through the Nevada DMV and require an official note from your doctor. Once you have obtained your handicapped placards and/or license plates, we can issue you a handicapped parking permit. Simply bring your placards and/or vehicle registration, a photo ID and the letter from the DMV stating that you are the owner of the handicapped placard to the Parking and Transportation Services Office , and you will be issued the correct permit.

Can I let someone else use my general reserved space?

No. Each reserved permit is required to use a particular reserved space and no other vehicles are permitted without specific approval by Parking and Transportation Services. If approval is granted, the individual given to ability to use the space may only do so for a limited period as determined when seeking permission to do so.

Can I back into a parking space?

You are required to apply for a Back In Decal if you prefer to back your vehicle into a parking space and do not have a front license plate. This decal is not a permit but will authorize you to back into a parking space. You are responsible for ensuring you have the proper parking rights/permissions for the area in which you park. Contact or 702-895-1300 for more information.


Where can I pay a citation?

Parking citations may be paid at the Parking & Transportation Services office. Fines may also be paid by mail using the preaddressed envelope provided with your citation. Make checks payable to the Board of Regents, and include the citation number on your check.

How long do I have to pay a citation?

Citations are to be paid within 30 days of the date they were issued. In the event the fine is not paid within 30 days, the fine is doubled.

How do I appeal a citation?

Any citation issued or any fee charged that is not delinquent may be appealed in writing on an official arbitration form available through Parking & Transportation Services . The appeal will be presented for arbitration but only after a deposit equal to the citation fee or other charge has been made with Parking & Transportation Services. If the appeal is granted, the deposit will automatically be refunded to the depositor. If the appeal is denied, the deposit will automatically be used to pay the fee. Failure to make a timely appeal waives the right of appeal. Appeals must be made within 30 calendar days from the date of citation. No delinquent citation or fee will be considered for appeal.

What happens if I don't pay my citations?

If not paid within 30 days, fines are doubled and students may find a hold placed on their school registration. Students' parking privileges could be in jeopardy and requests for official transcripts may be delayed as well as receipt of the student's college diploma. Upon accumulating $50 or more in unpaid fines, the operator/registered owner is expelled from parking on campus until all back citations are paid. Any expelled vehicle found on campus will be cited for illegal parking and subject to mechanical immobilization by use of a wheel boot or to being towed at the owner's expense without notice.

How do I get a "boot" removed from my vehicle?

If the vehicle has been booted, the outstanding fee(s) must be paid before the boot will be removed. Payment can be made at the Parking & Transportation Services office Monday through Friday 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.

I got a ticket for parking in a service area/loading zone, but there wasn't a sign designating this space. Nobody told me what that space was. How was I supposed to know?

All areas not specifically marked for parking are no-parking zones. Vehicles are prohibited from parking in any area designated as a no-parking or stopping area. These include red zones and fire hydrants as well as any other means of parking a vehicle that causes damage to university property, obstructs traffic, or creates a safety hazard.

I know I parked illegally, but I left a note on my windshield with an explanation. Why did I get a citation?

There are no excuses for parking illegally. Leaving a note on the windshield of your vehicle does not relieve you of the responsibility of parking in compliance with the parking regulations.

How do I get my parking hold released from my MyUNLV student account?

Once all citations are paid and the balance on the parking account is at a $0 balance, contact Parking and Transportation Services and the hold will be released.

What are my options if I receive a parking citation?

You may pay the citation either in the Parking and Transportation Services Office or online. You may arbitrate and appeal your citation if you feel that the ticket you received was unjust. If you choose to not pay the citation, the fine will double after 30 days and you run the risk of having a red tag placed on your vehicle or impounded.

I received a citation, but I had a valid permit?

If at the time the citation is issued a valid permit is not displayed on the vehicle, the ticket would be valid.

The meter I parked at is broken; what do I do?

Unfortunately, if you notice a parking meter is not functioning properly, you do have to find another space with a properly working meter. Meters that are out of order can be reported to Parking and Transportation Services at 895-1300. 

Special Services

Do you have any electric vehicle charging stations?

Yes, there are multiple charging stations located around the UNLV campus to include; east of the Campus Services Building, the Tropicana Parking Garage, west of Greenspun Hall, the Cottage Grove Parking Garage, the Stan Fulton Building, the University Gateway Garage, and on the Shadow Lane Campus.

What is PayByPhone?

PayByPhone is an app that customers can use to pay for parking remotely with their credit or debit cards. Simply download the app to your smartphone, create an account, and payment for student daily permits or metered stalls can be made.

Is there a late-night safety service for students and employees walking to or from parking areas?

Yes, University Police Services does provide an escort service to any staff, student or visitor in need. Contact University Police Services at 895-3669 and a security officer will be dispatched to your location.

Is there public transportation to travel to off-campus destinations?

Bus service is available through the Regional Transportation Committee (RTC). A UNLV/RTC Transit Station is located on University Road south of Greenspun Hall.  For all route options, please refer to the RTC website at

How can I obtain a handicapped placard?

State Handicapped Placards are issued through the Nevada DMV and require an official note from your doctor. Once you have obtained your handicapped placards and/or license plates, we can issue you a handicapped parking permit. Simply bring your placards and/or vehicle registration, a photo ID and the letter from the DMV stating that you are the owner of the handicapped placard to the Parking and Transportation Services Office , and you will be issued the correct permit.