Medicare and Your University Health Insurance Coverage

Individuals become eligible for Medicare coverage when they turn age 65. If you have health insurance coverage through the university through the Public Employees' Benefits Program (PEBP), Medicare will be your secondary insurance.

Medicare – Four Parts

Medicare Part A

Covers hospitalization, skilled nursing facility, some home health care and hospice care. If you have been paying Medicare Taxes for the past 10 years, then Medicare Part A is free. University employees hired on or before January 1, 1986, may NOT qualify for Medicare Part A.

Medicare Part B

Covers medical services such as doctor's visits as well as services and supplies not covered by Hospital Insurance. However, there is a monthly premium for Medicare Part B coverage.

Medicare Part C

Also known as a Medicare Advantage Plan. In order to qualify for Medicare Part C, you will need to have both Medicare Parts A and B.

Medicare Part D

Also known as the Medicare Prescription Drug Plan. If you have either Medicare Part A, B, or C, you are eligible to enroll in Medicare Part D. This plan is voluntary and you pay an additional monthly premium for this coverage.

When Should You Apply

Medicare Part A

  • If you are age 65 and you are receiving Social Security Benefits, you will be automatically enrolled in Medicare Part A.
  • If you are age 65 and you are not receiving Social Security Benefits, then you will need to contact Medicare to enroll in Medicare Part A. We recommend that you contact Medicare at least three months before your 65th birthday to enroll.
  • If you are age 65 and you are not receiving Social Security Benefits, you may choose to delay applying for Medicare Part A. Some individuals choose to do this if they are enrolled in the High Deductible Health Plan and wish to continue to contribute to a Health Savings Account (HSA).

Medicare Part B

  • If you are still actively employed and have health insurance through the University through the Public Employees Benefits Program, you are NOT required to purchase Medicare Part B.
  • You may choose to enroll in Medicare Part B any time while you are covered under (PEBP)
  • You must enroll in Medicare Part B during the eight-month period that begins with the month your group health coverage ends, or the month employment ends, whichever comes first.
  • If you are planning on continuing health insurance coverage through PEBP as a retiree, we recommend that you enroll in Medicare Part B at least 3 months before your retirement date.

Health Savings Account

If you have Medicare Parts A, or B, you will no longer be eligible to contribute to a Health Savings Account. It is imperative that you notify your Human Resources Office as soon as you are enrolled in Medicare Part A or B to avoid any potential taxable issues with your Health Savings Account.