Students will be expected to check-in promptly by 9 a.m. Monday through Friday at the Amargosa Room (LLB 1149). Each day concludes by 4 p.m. A light breakfast and lunch will be served each day. Throughout the week, there will be different guest speakers, workshops on various topics, as well as fun activities (e.g., yoga as stress management). In addition, students will typically write for 3-4 hours each day. Students will also have the opportunity to set-up a one-on-one appointment with their subject librarian and a one-on-one consultation with a Writing Center consultant.
Examples of the topics covered by the guest speakers and workshops include:
- Help with creating the outline
- Avoiding plagiarism
- Tips and strategies for conducting the literature review
- Time management strategies and tips for staying organized
- Tips for starting and sustaining a writing group after boot camp
Any enrolled masters or doctoral student who is in good academic standing in a graduate degree program and who is actively working on a thesis/ dissertation proposal, thesis, dissertation, professional paper, or publication is eligible to participate in the Grad Rebel Writing Boot Camp.
The Grad Rebel Writing Boot Camp will take place Monday, August 12, 2019 to Friday, August 16, 2019. If a student is chosen for the program, there is a $100 application fee. Students will need to either bring in a check or cash to the Graduate College Front Office (FDH #352). However, if the student completes the program, the cash/check will be returned to the student at the Graduation Ceremony on Friday, August 16, 2019.
We are no longer accepting applications for the August 2019 session. We will begin accepting applications for the January 2020 Boot Camp session in October. Please email email@example.com if you have any questions.
The Grad Rebel Writing Boot Camp provides you with the tips and strategies to become a more efficient, successful, and confident writer. In addition, students will also learn how to start and maintain their own writing groups at the completion of this program. Finally, participants who successfully complete all program requirements, including the week-long Boot Camp and three follow-up writing sessions during the fall semester, and submit their FAFSA form will be awarded a $100 Access Grant.
Requirements & Policies
- Students must apply and be admitted before they can begin participating in the program.
- Once accepted into the program, students must be actively working on a thesis/ dissertation proposal, thesis, dissertation, professional paper, or publication.
- Students must be able to participate in the program for the full week. This includes arriving on time each day (by 9 a.m.) and staying for the full day (day ends at 4 p.m.).
- Students must also be actively engaged in all activities associated with the Grad Rebel Writing Boot Camp.
- Students must fill out all Qualtrics surveys associated with the Grad Rebel Writing Boot Camp, including a program follow-up survey which is sent out a semester after the Writing Boot Camp session.
- Students must present their research/scholarly activity at the Rebel Grad Slam. The only exception is if the student graduates before the next Rebel Grad Slam event.
- The Grad Rebel Writing Boot Camp does not carry academic credit and does not appear on student transcripts. Similarly, any workshops associated with this program do not carry academic credit and do not appear on student transcripts.
- If a student is chosen for the program, there is a $100 application fee. Students will need to either bring in a check or cash to the Graduate College Front Office (FDH #352). However, if the student completes the program, the cash/check will be returned to the student at the Graduation Ceremony.
- If a student is not in good standing in their degree program, or if they create any problems as a participant in the Grad Rebel Writing Boot Camp, they may be removed from the program at the discretion of the Graduate College Dean.
- After the Writing Boot Camp, students must also participate in three follow-up writing sessions during the semester.
Follow-up Writing Sessions
August 2019 Writing Boot Camp Participants
As part of the Grad Rebel Writing Boot Camp requirements, participants must also attend at least one follow-up writing session a month during September, October, and November (for a total of 3 sessions). Below are dates for the sessions:
- Wednesday, September 18, 5:00 - 6:30 p.m. (Location: TBD)
- Friday, September 27, 12:30 - 2:00 p.m. (Location: TBD)
- Wednesday, October 9, 5:00 - 6:30 p.m. (Location: TBD)
- Friday, October 18, 10:00 - 11:30 a.m. (Location: TBD
- Wednesday, November 6, 5:00 - 6:30 p.m. (Location: TBD)
- Friday, November 15, 10:00 - 11:30 a.m. (Location: TBD)
Please note, we will pull the sign-in sheet promptly at the session start time. If you do not arrive on-time, unless you have discussed this previously with the program managers, you will not receive credit for this session. We expect all participants to complete the full 1.5 hours of writing.
Previous Program Schedules