How long do I have to live here to become a resident?

Students can apply for residency under eleven different categories. Some categories require 12 months proof of residence in Nevada, but some do not. If you or your family has relocated to Nevada for the PRIMARY purpose of employment and NOT just to attend school, the 12-month period may not apply.

I have lived in Nevada for 12 months, but I never changed my driver’s license.

This is not a university-established requirement. This is a requirement of the State of Nevada. Nevada law requires new residents to change your license or ID within 30 days of relocating. You can keep your out-of-state license if you are to be considered an out-of-state student. The 12-month period during which you establish residency does not start until you change your license. Other acceptable items include a Nevada voter registration card or vehicle registration.

I heard that I qualify for Nevada residency for tuition purposes because I have lived in Nevada for 6 months. Is that true?

No, that is not true. You may only qualify for Nevada residency under the 6-Month Rule if your first matriculation at a Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE) institution (including UNLV) occurred during the period Fall Semester 1995 through Spring Semester 2005. For more information about the 6-Month Rule, read about the Board of Regents’ decision on Nevada residency.

I support myself, but my parents claim me on their taxes. Can I qualify for Nevada residency for tuition purposes?

For tuition purposes, you are a resident of the state in which you filed taxes or claimed as a dependent. Educational institutions receive monetary support to subsidize the educations of their residents. Since Nevada does not receive any monetary support for non-residents, we must charge out-of-state tuition to make up the difference. You cannot be reclassified as a resident for tuition purposes if you file taxes in another state.

My parents are divorced. The parent that claims me lives in another state. Can I qualify for Nevada residency for tuition purposes?

You can be considered a dependent of the parent who resides in Nevada by proving that this parent does provide financial support. A copy of the divorce decree or proof of child support payments should be submitted in addition to the other required documents.

I file taxes as a financially independent person (no one claims me) but I receive financial help. Can I qualify for Nevada residency for tuition purposes?

You are eligible to be claimed as a dependent if at least 50% of your support comes from another source. To be considered a resident for tuition purposes, you must show that you are financially independent by proving that you have supported the entire cost of your educational and living expenses for the past year.

I filed an extension request submit my return to the IRS. So, I do not have a copy of my current year’s tax return. Can I still apply for residency?

Yes. A copy of your extension request must be submitted with your application in lieu of the return.

How can I be expected to have earned enough to cover my expenses when I am a full-time student?

We do not EXPECT you to work full time; however, if you wish to be considered a Nevada resident, you must show that you are financially independent. If you are not working or cannot show that your wages/financial aid/scholarships/etc. support your expenses, we assume that your primary purpose for living in Nevada is to attend school and that you are receiving support from outside sources thereby making you an out-of-state student.

I did not work last year, but I am moving to Nevada to be employed full time. Can I qualify for Nevada residency for tuition purposes?

Unless the student can show proof of financial independence for the year PRIOR to living in Nevada, Category 'E' is not a viable option. The student would need to establish 12 months residence in Nevada and then apply the following year under Category 'I.'

I live with my boyfriend/girlfriend/fiancé and receive financial support from them. Can I qualify for Nevada residency for tuition purposes?

The person you are residing with must be a legal parent or guardian in order for you to qualify as a dependent.

I plan to live with a relative (grandparent, brother, aunt, etc.). Can I qualify for Nevada residency for tuition purposes?

Living with a family member does not qualify you for resident status for tuition purposes. To qualify for residency, you must demonstrate that you are a dependent of the Nevada resident (claimed on income tax) and that the Nevada resident is your parent or legal guardian.

I recently married a Nevada resident. Does that qualify me for Nevada Residency for tuition purposes?

Becoming the spouse of a Nevada resident does not qualify a student for Nevada residency. If the student has lived in Nevada 12 months, a joint tax return in addition to the other materials can be provided as proof of financial independence, regardless of which spouse actually earned the money.

Can I provide a lease agreement or letter for proof of residence?

These documents are not necessarily sufficient for 12-months proof. The address on the lease agreement must be the same as the address on the residency application and must show that you have lived in that residence for the past 12 months. If you have lived in two or more residences during the past 12 months, you will need to provide appropriate and verifiable evidence to that effect. If the apartment complex can provide a letter, payment ledger, copies of rent receipts indicating that you paid each month, this document can be reviewed as 12-months proof. Note: In the interest of reducing the amount of paper documentation received with your application, the Graduate College encourages you to provide proof of residence that is no more than one or 2 pages in length.

Do I have to provide 12 utility bill and/or bank statements?

Utility companies and banks will provide you with a one-page statement indicating the length of time you have had an account. This is preferred by the Graduate College because it reduces the amount of paper documentation that is received and reviewed. It also helps to expedite the residency decision-making process.

My income tax return is several pages long; do I have to send you the entire return?

No. A copy of the first page of your return is sufficient.

As an undergraduate, I receive reduced tuition benefits under WUE. Can I use this as a graduate student?

No. As a graduate student, you will no longer be eligible for reduced tuition benefits under WUE and will be charged out-of –state tuition. However, if you have permanently relocated to Nevada, you are eligible to apply for Nevada residency.

As an undergraduate, I received reduced tuition benefits under the Good Neighbor program. Can I continue to receive this benefit?

Yes. However, you may be eligible to apply for Nevada residency if you have permanently relocated to Nevada.

I own property in Nevada but I live in another state. Will I have to pay out-of –state tuition?

Yes. Simply owning property in Nevada does not make you a Nevada resident.

I am active duty military not stationed in Nevada, but I list Nevada as my state of residence. Do I qualify for Nevada Residency for tuition purposes?

Many military personnel list Nevada as their state of residence because Nevada residents do not pay state income tax. This is not sufficient to qualify for residency for tuition purposes. Unless the student (or military parent as is usually the case) can show ties to the state of Nevada (federal income tax returns, maintaining a residence), the application for residency cannot be approved.

I had a graduate assistantship last semester. Why did my residency status change to out-of-state?

One of benefits of being a graduate assistant, if you are not a resident of Nevada, is that you do not have to pay out-of-state tuition. If you no longer hold a graduate assistantship your benefit status changes to out-of -state.

I was approved as a Nevada resident effective this semester. Will I have to reapply for next semester?

No. The only way your residency status would revert to out-of-state is if you were approved under false pretenses.

What are my options if I am denied residency status?

The Board of Regents and the State of Nevada establish the requirements for residency. Residency applications for graduate students are processed through Student Services. If an application for residency is denied, students have the right to submit a letter of appeal and supporting documentation within 30 days of the denial decision. The Faculty Senate Residency Appeals Committee will review the application and make a final decision.

To Apply for Residency

Download and complete the Nevada Residency Application. Please send the completed application and all required documentation to:

UNLV Office of Admissions
Attn: John Jacobs/Graduate Student Residency Applications
Box 451029
4505 S. Maryland Pkwy
Las Vegas, NV 89154-1029

Campus Location: Student Services Complex, Building B (SSC-B)

Phone: 702-895-0551

Fax: 702-895-4987