The Dr. Gregg Schraw Scholarship was established to honor the contributions made by Dr. Gregg Schraw and provides financial support for graduate students.
Gregg Schraw was a full professor in UNLV’s Department of Educational Psychology from 2000 until his passing in 2016. In addition to being a stunningly prolific author of journal articles, books, and book chapters and frequent editorial-board member for the top-tier, peer-reviewed journals in the field of educational psychology, Dr. Schraw was an uncommonly supportive and remarkably effective mentor to doctoral candidates at UNLV and other institutions. As both a researcher and a master teacher of other researchers, Dr. Schraw was an asset of inestimable worth to his academic field, to UNLV, and to every student he taught or mentored. Dr. Schraw’s impact on his field and the many scholars--both established and budding--with whom he interacted is described powerfully in McCrudden, M.T. (2016). Remembering Gregg Schraw. Educational Psychology Review, 28(4), 673-690, which can be read here.
- Submit an application with all required supporting documents in Grad Rebel Gateway (see Required Application Materials section above) by the deadline.
- Be a doctoral student at UNLV. Preference will be given to students in:
- Biological Sciences (Ecology and Evolutionary Biology concentration only)
- Civil and Environmental Engineering (Environmental and Water Resources concentrations only)
- Curriculum and Instruction
- Educational Psychology
- Experimental Psychology
- Higher Education
- Learning Sciences
- Public Health (Environmental and Occupational Health and Epidemiology and Biostatistics concentrations only)
- Special Education
- Teacher Education
- Must be alumni from one or more of the federally funded, campus-based projects housed within UNLV's Center for Academic Enrichment and Outreach (CAEO). These projects currently include:
- Title III Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander-Serving Institutions
- National Science Foundation Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation
- TIRO Ronald E. McNair Scholars Institute
- TRIO Student Support Services
(Applicant will provide a letter of participation from UNLV CAEO as part of their application packet)
- Have a minimum graduate GPA of 3.0
- Remain in good standing in their degree program and enroll in and complete a minimum of 6 graduate credits in each semester of the scholarship year.
Application open: Oct. 1
Application deadline: Dec. 1