Student Researcher Award Program
The GPSA has established a Researcher Award program which will assist students to purchase research materials, present their work at national/international conferences, and will support completion of requirements for their degree program. This award will be distributed based on the student’s level of enrollment (master’s or doctoral/professional) as well as their field (STEM or non-STEM).
During the 2021-2022 academic year, a total of six recipients may be awarded by the GPSA. Award recipients will be from the following areas:
Additionally, up to two Honorable Mentions may receive a $500 award.
Applications will be open and accepted once per academic year. Preference will be given to students working on research projects that will be applied to their final thesis/dissertation manuscript.
- Master's Level in a non-STEM area, $2,500 ($1,250 fall/spring)
- Master's Level in a STEM area, $2,500 ($1,250 fall/spring)
- Doctoral Level in a non-STEM area, $4,000 ($2,000 fall/spring)
- Doctoral Level in a STEM area, $4,000 ($2,000 fall/spring)
- UNLV School of Dental Medicine and Kirk Kerkorian School of Medicine, two awards of $4,000 ($2,000 fall/spring)
The UNLV GPSA Student Researcher Award shall promote student research and scholarly activities as a means to support and encourage students to produce quality research that will make a considerable contribution to their field of study.
- Be admitted to a graduate or professional degree program at UNLV. (Non-degree seeking students do not qualify for this award.)
- Be enrolled in a minimum of six (6) credits at the time of the award. (Students must be enrolled in six (6) credits in both fall and spring semesters to receive the full award amount.)
- Have a minimum 3.0 GPA
- Be in good academic standing
- Have taken (or have in progress) at least (a) 12 graduate credit hours for master's students or (b) 24 graduate/professional credit hours for doctoral students.
- Students must not be planning to defend their thesis/dissertation and graduate prior to the end of the award year. Credit minimums must be completed upon receiving the award.
Please note all applications must be the original work of the applicant. Individuals shall only be eligible to receive the GPSA Student Researcher Award once during their graduate/professional studies at UNLV. The award is not renewable past the award year. Award recipients will be ineligible for GPSA Travel/Research Sponsorship during the Student Research Award year.
All application materials must be submitted by Thursday, July 15th, 2021 at 11:59 PM for the 2021-2022 academic year.
To allow ample time for the review of application materials for this award, all applicants will be notified of the decision in approximately 6-8 weeks after the submission deadline. Award recipients will have no more than 2 weeks to accept the award in writing.
Application & Operating Policy
All applications need to be submitted via Qualtrics. We recommend reviewing the operating policy and application instructions before submitting your application.