Who determines what I am eligible for? Can I talk to someone for more in-depth information regarding my VA status?
UNLV falls under the VA Regional Processing Office in Muskogee, Okla. Call 888-442-4551 for answers to your questions.

What is certification? When should I turn in my paperwork?
Certification (VA Form 22-1999) is the information your school's certifying official sends to the VA regional processing office. The student's enrollment dates, training status, and class standing are all part of the certification. The sooner you turn in your paperwork, the sooner you will start receiving your monthly benefits. Rule of thumb: Turn in your forms as soon as possible after class registration to ensure a timely certification. You have one year from the start of a semester to file for benefits.
What is a semester enrollment form?
For each semester, you need to turn in a completed semester enrollment form. Semester enrollment forms are available on this website under Forms to Process Your Veteran’s Benefits. They are also available at UNLV's Office of Veteran Services, Student Services Complex, Bldg. A, Room 311. Fill out the student portion and then take the form to your academic advisor for a signature. Your academic advisor will review the form to make sure the classes listed are degree-applicable. The academic advisor will also provide your up-to-date degree sheet. Certification cannot be done without this degree sheet.
What should I do if I change my enrollment?
If you change your enrollment, immediately fill out and submit an updated semester enrollment form. Withdrawing from a course may reduce your benefits. You may have to repay benefits unless you can show the change was due to mitigating circumstances. (If you have mitigating circumstances, let the UNLV certifying official know so the information can be added to the updated certification.) Indicate on the semester enrollment form which classes were dropped and/or added. If you are adding a class that has not previously been approved by your academic advisor, the form must be signed by the advisor. If you are just dropping a class, the form only needs your signature.
What if I change my major?
You need to have your new academic advisor supply an updated degree sheet showing your completed credits. Your certification cannot be done until a new degree sheet is received.
Can I dual major and still receive benefits?
You will need to obtain an up-to-date degree sheet from each major's advising office. You will need to complete two semester enrollment forms each semester (unless both majors are in the same college). For example, if you want to major in business and hotel, you would complete a semester enrollment form listing the business classes and another semester enrollment form listing the hotel classes. Have each signed at the appropriate advising office. When signed, they should be turned in to UNLV's Office of Veteran Services along with the two updated degree sheets.

If I fail, will the VA education benefits still pay? May I retake a class to improve my grades?
If you fail a class, the professor will record your grade and last date of attendance.. This can be determined by the last time homework was received, last test, etc. If this date is earlier than the end of the semester, the failing grade needs to be reported to the VA. For example, if the last date the professor received any class work from you is one month before the class ends and awards you a failing grade, your grade is reported to the VA and is treated as if you dropped the class on that date. When processed by the VA, under the Post-9/11 chapter, a debt will be created for the cost of tuition and fees, BAH and possibly book money paid for that class. Other chapters would have a debt established for the monthly stipend payment you had received for that class.
What if I'm placed on academic probation because of low grades?
The VA uses the same progress standards listed in the UNLV catalog. If your low grades lead to suspension due to unsatisfactory progress, the suspension will be reported to the VA.
Can I receive tutorial assistance?
You should first contact the UNLV Academic Success Center to see if there is free tutoring for the subject needed. Individual tutorial assistance can be reimbursed by the VA education benefits for chapters 30, 33, 35 and 1606. Tutorial assistance is not available for chapter 1607 at this time. You must provide a letter from the course instructor stating you are deficient in the course and that individual tutoring would help correct the deficiency. The Academic Success Center has a list of available tutors. The monthly amount reimbursed cannot exceed $100. To apply, complete VA Form 22-1990t, Application and Enrollment Certification for Individualized Tutorial Assistance. Forms are available on the  VA Education Benefits website, or, from UNLV's Office of Veteran Services. You will be required to pay the tutor up front and the VA will reimburse you.

Can I take any courses I want?
The VA will only pay for classes that are degree-applicable. This means only classes that will count towards your degree program. The VA will pay for required pre-requisites. See below concerning remedial classes.
Will the VA pay for classes toward a minor?
If your degree has elective credits, you can use these electives to take classes for a minor. Otherwise, classes for a minor cannot be counted for certification. When you have filled your open electives, no future elective credits can be certified.
What if I am a non-admit student?
The VA education benefits will pay benefits for two semesters as a non-admit student. After two semesters, benefits will stop until you are formally admitted. Courses taken while a non-admit student should be limited to classes that would be acceptable to any program on campus (i.e., core requirements). Have your semester enrollment form signed by an academic advisor in the UNLV Academic Success Center advising office.
What if I want to take degree applicable classes at another school?
Attending classes at two different schools at the same time is called concurrent enrollment. An example would be taking classes during the same semester at CSN and UNLV. Use the Concurrent Enrollment Form for the classes being taken at the other school. The form is available on this website under Forms to Process Your Veteran’s Benefits. The form is also available at UNLV’s Office of Veteran Services. Complete the form, have it signed by your UNLV academic advisor, and turn it in to the UNLV certifying official. The form is then signed by UNLV’s certifying official and faxed to the concurrent school for certification.
Will the VA education benefits pay for remedial courses?
Yes, if you can demonstrate need. Low test scores on the ACT, SAT, or placement testing warrant need for remedial courses. UNLV provides placement testing through the Academic Success Center. Call 702-895-3800 for details. If you do not have qualifying test scores, your remedial course cannot be considered for VA education benefits.
Will the VA education benefits pay for courses I audit?
No. The VA views an audited course the same as a dropped course.
Will the VA education benefits pay for ROTC courses?
Yes, if you have a signed contract with the ROTC. Currently UNLV offers Army ROTC and Air Force ROTC courses. Refer to the individual programs on the UNLV website for additional information.
Will the VA education benefits pay for honors courses?
Yes, but only when those courses count toward your major/degree. If a course is not degree-applicable, you cannot receive benefits.
Can I receive benefits for a test for a license or certification?
Tests approved by the State Approving Agency may be reimbursed. Information about license and certification test reimbursement is at the VA education benefits website.
I am eligible for Post-9/11 benefits. Will the VA pay my non-residency fees?
The VA cannot cover any non-residency fees. This includes WUE fees, or any fee charged because you are not considered a resident of Nevada. Be sure to look at your tuition and fee bill after you enroll to see if you are being charged a non-residency fee. Be sure you pay this fee by the semester due date or arrange a payment plan with the Cashier's Office. If you feel you have been charged a nonresident fee in error, you should contact the Admissions Office immediately.

How do I update my direct deposit information or my address?
Call the VA at 877-838-2778 to update your direct deposit information. Chapter 30, 1606 and 1607 students who verify their attendance online can change their address and direct deposit information at that site. Other chapter students should call the VA hotline number at 1-888-442-4551 to update their address.
Are VA education benefits taxable?
No. Any veterans benefits paid under any law administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs should not be reported as income to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
What is enrollment verification and do I have to do one?

Only Chapters 30, 1606 and 1607 must verify at this time. In order to receive your monthly benefits from the VA education benefits, you must verify your enrollment at the end of each month. There are two ways to verify; both are available 24 hours a day.

  • Go to VA Education Benefits website under Information for Benefit Recipients/WAVE.
  • Telephone 877-823-2378 and use the Interactive Voice Response.
Who pays my tuition and fees?

Chapters 30, 35, 1606 and 1607

It is your responsibility to see that tuition and fees are paid on time. Tuition and fees are due prior to the start of each semester. Your benefits are paid at the end of each month for that month.

Chapter 33

Students should supply their Certificate of Eligibility to the UNLV VA certifying official. A completed and signed semester enrollment form must also be supplied prior to the start of the semester. The VA certifying official will then determine the amount due from the VA and will place a hold on that part of the student’s tuition and fee bill. Under MyUNLV, Student Center, Financial Aid, you will see an entry 'VA anticipated payment'. If this anticipated payment will not pay the student's bill completely (i.e., your eligibility level is not 100% or you are not a resident of Nevada), the student will be required to either pay the balance or set up a satisfactory payment plan with the cashier’s office prior to the start of the semester. Students who do not pay the remaining balance will accrue late fees and could have all classes dropped for non-payment. VA cannot be charged for late fees or reinstatement fees.

Chapter 31

When paperwork is received, UNLV's Office of Veteran Services will present the Cashier's office with a voucher to cover degree applicable classes.