Maintenance and Inspection
For maintaining the safety of your cart, the following inspections are recommended prior to operating:
- Tire condition and inflation
- Brakes for proper operation
- Lights and all safety devices are operational
- Indications of battery fluid leaks, such as wet spots under the unit
- Battery fluid levels need to be inspected weekly
Preventive Maintenance and Repair
Preventive maintenance and repair services may be provided by the Motor Pool with an issuance of an interdepartmental request form turned into the Work Control Center. Preventive maintenance may include the following:
- Battery capacity check
- Tire wear check
- Brake system check and adjustment
- Grease and lubricate all components
- Check and add fluids as needed
If carts are in need of repairs, please call the Motor Pool at 702-895-3186.
For the safety and enjoyment of driving carts around campus, here are some suggestions:
- Yield to pedestrians and cyclists at all times.
- Always obey all traffic rules and regulations.
- Follow designated paths and never cut corners.
- Reduce speed to compensate for pedestrians, weather conditions and turns.
- Please keep arms and legs inside carts at all times while operating (except when using hand signals) or riding in a cart.
- Know your weight limits and what the cart was designed to do. A refurbished golf cart is designed to carry people, not heavy equipment.
- Always carry your driver's license when driving.
- Never carry more people than there are seats in the cart.
- Never park a cart in front of entrances; not only does this cause a fire hazard, it can block the path for people in wheelchairs.
- Do not park a cart in red zones, fire lanes, meters (without paying), reserved spots, handicap stalls, lawn and grass areas.
- Do not obstruct driveways, sidewalks, roadways, and handicap ramps.
Learn more about the UNLV Cart Safety Training Program, a part of environmental health and safety.