Master of Arts - Political Science
The Department of Political Science offers a general Master of Arts degree with concentrations in American Politics (including public policy and public law), Comparative Politics, International Relations, and Political Theory. Students can normally expect to complete the program in one-and-a-half to two years. The graduate program in political science is designed to prepare graduate students for doctoral studies, teaching positions at secondary schools and community colleges, or employment by government agencies, research centers, or private industry.
For information regarding accreditation at UNLV, please head over to Academic Program Accreditations.
- To prepare students for job opportunities in the public and private sectors as well as for additional advanced degrees.
- To develop advanced theoretical and methodological knowledge in the major fields of Political Science.
- To foster the acquisition of expertise in an appropriate field within Political Science.
Students may take courses in American Politics (including public law and public policy), Comparative Politics, International Relations, and Political Theory. Completion of the program requires a minimum of 30 credits beyond the BA.
A. Core curriculum (18 credits)
- Methods in political science (6 credits)
- Proseminars (12 credits): American Politics, Comparative Politics, International Relations, and Political Theory