Student Organization Funding
The Ways & Means Committee is now accepting Registered Student Organization supplemental funding requests for the 2018-2019 school year. Please familiarize yourself with the procedure below and reference our FAQ section below for any questions you may have. Make sure and read our updated operating policy as funding procedures may have changed.
Procedure for Requesting Funds
Below you will find the procedure for requesting funds from CSUN for your Registered Student Organization. Questions should be directed to Ways and Means Chair Natale Muro at the new email address: email@example.com. Please pay special attention to the new email address as requests will only be checked at that inbox.
- Student organizations must be a Registered Student Organization (RSO).
- RSO's must be a registered UNLV Supplier and have either a Tax ID Number or EIN.
- All funds being distributed must go towards undergraduate students.
- All approved funding requests may only be funded up to 50% of the total amount encumbered from traveling.
- Once approved for funding, a representative of at least one undergraduate student member must return to CSUN Senate with a brief summary of your accomplishments in the 2018-2019 academic year to be eligible for funding in the 2019-2020 academic year.
- Each RSO that receives funding must submit copies of receipts for proof of purchase by September 1st of the next fiscal year.
- If your organization received funding last fiscal year (June 30th, 2017-July 1, 2018) and has not submitted receipts OR presented an update to the Senate by September 1st, 2018, your organization may not be eligible for funding for this fiscal year.
- If your organization does not have an EIN or Supplier ID, you may be a 'sponsored student org' meaning you are supported by a university account and would instead have a program code (that looks like this: PGxxxxx) that you can provide to denote the university account in which to transfer awarded funds.
- Please refer to the Operating Policy below for the New Student Organization Start-Up Fund requirements.
- Please read through the “Funding Guidelines” section of our Operating Policy so you are aware of the necessary requirements that are expected of you as an RSO in order to receive funding.
- Apply for funding
- Create a Budget & Cover Letter
- Please use the excel template and example cover letter provided
- If you are requesting funding for SUES, please also include your reservation summary.
- Provide quotes from suppliers for every item that is listed on the budget.
- Ensure your materials are compliant with our Operating Policy as well as the guidelines that are highlighted in the Google Form.
- Complete, attach the appropriate files listed above, and submit the Google Form.
- Presentation to the Committee
- Once the committee receives your Google Form Submission, your budget and your cover letter, we will contact you via email to set up your presentation date. (Keep in mind this will fall on a Tuesday at 5:30 pm)
- Presentation to the Senate
- Once the committee approves your organization for funds, your organization will then present to the CSUN Senate for final approval.
- Once approved by the CSUN Senate, operating and receiving funds will be accessed through our Business Manager, Colt Kraus (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
- Please review the Frequently Asked Questions and Answers below.
We look forward to working with you!
— The Ways and Means Committee
Frequently Asked Questions
- What's a supplier ID? Do I need this?
Any Registered Student Organization looking for funding from a UNLV entity, such as CSUN, must be a registered supplier.
If you experience difficulties with the site, please utilize the following email address with questions: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- What's an EIN/Tax ID?
Each RSO must provide their EIN/Tax ID information to CSUN, basically the equivalent of a social security number for a business or organization. In order to register as a supplier with NSHE, you had to provide your EIN in the application process. They are obtained from the IRS.
- How do I set up a bank account?
We cannot provide any specific instructions on how registered student organizations (RSOs) manage their funds in off-campus accounts but the following is common among other organizations. Most other RSOs choose to open a bank account under the RSO's name. US Bank (located on the 1st floor of the SU) is the most common due to proximity and their familiarity with our RSOs, but other banks are also utilized. A few notes about opening an off-campus bank account:
- It is optimal to make sure multiple people in your organization have access to the funds in that account and to make financial decisions
- Think hard about how you will make sure there is accountability and transparency for your organization's funds
- Devise a method for passing down financial information to the next generations of members
- Do I need to use the budget and cover letter templates provided?
Yes, they provide a method for ensuring consistency and efficiency throughout both the committee and senate meetings.
- Were not all of your needs met?
If your needs are not able to be fully met by CSUN, please check out Rebel Raiser.
- How long will it take for the funding to arrive after approval?
Often times within two weeks, but there is no set timeline.