Do you work with a Business Affairs colleague who consistently goes above and beyond their regular duties? Did a coworker recently go out of their way to help you with a project? Does someone’s positive attitude make the workplace a more enjoyable place to be? If so, show these outstanding employees how much you value their contributions by nominating them for the monthly Business Affairs employee appreciation awards!
All Business Affairs team members are welcome to nominate a peer who exemplifies the Business Affairs culture standards - Collaborate. Acknowledge. Respect. Empower. If selected, they receive $100 and are entered into the pool for employee of the year. This award is $1,000!
This is an employee of the month and employee of the year program that runs on the calendar year (January through December). The selection process is designed with fairness in mind: employees are nominated by their peers and selected anonymously based on the contents of their nomination form.
Since Business Affairs is a large division that performs diverse functions, the staff is divided into two groups of approximately equal size whose employees work in related fields:
- Facilities management, planning and construction, and real estate
- Financial services/controller; resource management; budget and analysis; and administration services
Nominations should explain how an employee’s actions exceed expectations for their role. When nominating a co-worker consider these criteria:
- Is the employee’s work effective, accurate, and useful?
- Do they take steps to build relationships with customers and colleagues?
- Are they detail-oriented, and do they take pride in creating excellent deliverables?
Successful employees are proactive in their approach to work.
- Does the employee take extra steps to ensure customer satisfaction or that a task is meticulously accomplished?
- Do they regularly meet and/or exceed goals and expectations?
Organization and astute prioritization are qualities that make departments efficient and productive.
- Does the employee consistently deliver service or products on time and/or ahead of schedule?
Employees who identify problems and create solutions to streamline operations, reduce waste, and lower costs help the university create sustainable practices.
- Is the employee a forward-thinker who identifies practices that simplify processes?
- Do they find ways to help UNLV remain environmentally mindful?
To be eligible for the program, an employee must:
- Be a current UNLV Business Affairs employee
- Have worked in UNLV Business Affairs for at least six (6) months
- Be in good standing (e.g., not in a progressive disciplinary process, last performance appraisal was satisfactory, etc.)
- No self-nominations allowed!
Note: While an employee can be nominated more than once for the employee of the month award, he/she cannot win more than two monthly awards in a calendar year. A nominator cannot nominate the same employee more than once in a calendar year.
Employees nominate other employees for this award. Only one employee may be included per nomination. Group or team nominations will not be accepted. The nominator does not need to be the employee’s supervisor.
To nominate an employee, fill out the Business Affairs Employee Appreciation nomination form.
Nominations are due by the 25th of each month.
Winners are announced monthly in the Business Affairs Bulletin.
Nominee Evaluation and Winner Selection Process
Nomination Review Committees
Business Affairs employees are divided into two groups. One group is comprised of the facilities management, planning & construction, and real estate departments. The other group is comprised of financial services, controller, resource management, budget & analysis, human resources, and administration services departments.
Each employee group has a dedicated nomination review committee that evaluates nominations and selects monthly winner(s).
- Each committee has at least five (5) members. Committees always include an odd number of members if membership exceeds five.
- Committee members rotate biennially.
- Committee members do not report directly to the senior vice president of Business Affairs. The committees consist of employees’ peers.
- The Office of the Senior Vice President of Business Affairs assists in the selection of committee members as members rotate off the committee.
- Members of the review committees do not see the nominees’ names, which are replaced by an identifying number, when evaluating the submissions.
- Per the nomination form instructions, please do not use the employee’s name in the nomination narrative.
- The committees evaluate nominees based on the nomination narrative.
Number of Winners
- For the monthly award, each group may have one winner, for a possible total of two monthly winners for the division.
- The review committees do not have to select a monthly winner.
- For the annual award, each review committee will choose one winner from a pool of up to 12 monthly award winners, for a possible total of two annual winners for the division.