Small Business Leadership Academy
A Lee Business School partnership with Cox Communications, Caesars Entertainment, and Bank of Nevada.
Small businesses are the heart of Las Vegas – boosting the economy, creating jobs, and positively impacting the community. The Small Business Leadership Academy (SBLA) empowers participants to anticipate and overcome the business challenges of today and tomorrow. Created through a partnership between Lee Business School, Cox Communications, Caesars Entertainment, and Bank of Nevada, the SBLA is specifically tailored to the unique needs of small businesses. The SBLA program delivers the skills needed to stay competitive and moving forward. Participants can expect to acquire practical skills that they can immediately put into action within their company in the following areas:
- Strategy for Competitive Advantage - Strategic plans allow a firm to develop competitive advantages. Learn approaches to build your business and to recognize how customers, competitors, and your company interact to ultimately determine your performance.
- Managing for Innovation and Growth - Growing companies must be look forward, seize external opportunities and handle unforeseen change. Explore the behaviors and processes associated with innovative, growing organizations and how you can create a culture that fosters growth. Learn to see and understand new customer and marketplace opportunities and how to capitalize on them.
- Process Mapping and Continuous Improvement - Process mapping clarifies specific roles and contributions involved in organization processes and identifies opportunities for process improvement. Examining the business as a system provides a framework to assist organizations in becoming more efficient and to ensure that processes are aligned with firm values and capabilities.
- Strategy Mapping and Metrics - Strategy mapping facilitates business planning, prioritizes goals and objectives, and establishes key performance indicators and metric for outcome assessment and analysis. This approach, based on the Balanced Scorecard, focuses on integrating four perspectives of performance: financial, customer, internal process, and learning/growth. This holistic approach translates vision into daily operations.
- Making the Social Media – Database Connection - Connecting social media interactions with database creates a powerful tool. A database connection with social media platforms allows you to interact specifically with the customers and suppliers who are following your firm. It is easier to identify and reward your customers. As well, social media can expand the effectiveness of your marketing campaigns.
- Negotiation - Negotiation is integral to creating value for the firm. Enhance your ability to use negotiation as a tool for managing conflict, make deals, settle disputes, and make team decisions. Learn how to execute proven tactics, refine your personal negotiating style, and improve your ability to bargain successfully and ethically in any situation.
- Team Management - Learn the tools and techniques to help you lead. Strengthen communication skills, Increase your effectiveness as a manager, enhance your team’s potential and improve their performance. Create clarity, vision and build mutual trust with your team and inspire optimal performance from team members.
- Cash Management - Cash management is instrumental in determining a company’s stability and efficiency. The method a company follows in investing, collecting and managing cash is a key factor for a company’s profitability. Cash flow management problems can cripple even the most successful firms.
Learn cash flow strategies across a variety of contexts: information, collections, disbursements, and fraud prevention.
The SBLA program is an eight-week commitment beginning February 15 and concluding April 12. Sessions will be held Wednesday evenings, 5-9 p.m. at Cox Communications’ administrative office.
The program will begin with an orientation to introduce participants to faculty and fellow students, to lay out program sequence and goals for participants, and to distribute materials and assignments for the first session. Each session will feature high-impact takeaways that can be readily accomplished in the short term in addition to laying out longer term pathways to value and growth for participants’ firms. SBLA participants will receive three Continuing Education Units (CEUs).
Program cost is $1500/individual. Applications are no longer being accepted for 2017. Please check back in January 2018 for the next cohort.