Our Vision and Mission
The University of Nevada, Las Vegas is a public research institution committed to rigorous educational programs and the highest standards of a liberal education.
UNLV’s Top Tier Vision
By 2025, UNLV will be recognized as a top tier public university in research, education, and community impact.
UNLV’s Top Tier Mission
UNLV’s diverse faculty, students, staff, and alumni promote community well-being and individual achievement through education, research, scholarship, creative activities, and clinical services. We stimulate economic development and diversification, foster a climate of innovation, promote health, and enrich the cultural vitality of the communities that we serve.
We will evaluate our success as a leading research university by our progress on these key measures:
- Impact of our research, scholarship, and creative activities.
- Student achievement of learning outcomes.
- Placement into preferred employment or post-graduate educational opportunities.
- Student, faculty, and staff diversity, including maintaining UNLV’s Minority Serving Institution (MSI) status and Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) status.
- Intellectual activity, patents, and entrepreneurial activity fostered by UNLV.
- Quality and impact of our clinical services.
- Alignment of our physical infrastructure and organizational effectiveness with our Top Tier mission.
- A deeper engagement of UNLV with Las Vegas and our region to ensure ongoing alignment with our diverse community’s needs and interests.
- Carnegie Classification criteria (research expenditures; doctoral degrees granted per year; number of non-faculty research staff, such as postdocs; and Carnegie Community Engagement status).
As a measure of overall university effectiveness and progress, UNLV will prepare, implement, and disseminate a progress card.
UNLV’s Core Themes
The core themes of UNLV, the objectives, and their indicators of achievement express the mission of the university. The core themes describe in broad statements what UNLV plans to accomplish and reflect the values that are shared by faculty and staff. Evaluation of the metrics associated with the indicators of achievement will demonstrate how effectively UNLV is carrying out its mission.
- Core Theme 1: Advance Student Achievement
- Core Theme 2: Promote Research, Scholarship, Creative Activity
- Core Theme 3: Create an Academic Health Center
- Core Theme 4: Foster Community Partnerships
More information is available on the UNLV NWCCU accreditation website.