The purpose of the Retention Schedules is to provide consistency and clarity regarding the retention and management of records and UNLV. It is intended as an NSHE-wide resource for faculty & staff at all levels across the state.
Adhering to the guidelines in the Retention Schedules will provide the following benefits:
- Help answer questions related to records and FERPA.
- Simplify disposal projects.
- Free up space in offices and on servers across the University.
- Improve the security of the information people have entrusted to the University.
- Reduce the unnecessary burdens and risks created by retaining records for too long.
- Avoid potential penalties for retaining records for too short a time period.
- Identify and preserve records that are important to the University's history.