Center for Gaming Innovation
The International Gaming Institute’s Center for Gaming Innovation is an incubator that seeks to create innovative and commercially viable casino games. In its first 18 months, the Center filed 23 patent applications and commercialized five games. Several of these games are available to play in Nevada casinos today!
CGI has also been showcased in national media outlets such as CBS Morning News, ABC News, Global Gaming Business, and Casino Enterprise Management, all highlighting UNLV and Nevada as a world leader in gaming innovation.
The center was established in 2013 with a grant from Governor Sandoval’s Office of Economic Development.
Gaming Innovation Class
The class runs every fall semester:
- Open to all UNLV students and the community
- Learn about the history, psychology, and math behind successful casino games
- Consult with industry experts to design and refine your own unique gambling game
- Work with experts to patent and commercialize your innovation
- Covers all game development: slots, table games, lottery, sports betting, and online social games
- 23 patents generated by students in the first two classes
- One student-inventor sold her idea to Konami Gaming, Inc.
- Other students have launched their games in local Las Vegas casinos
- Students were featured on CBS This Morning in 2014
In the News
The Center for Gaming Innovation’s student inventors have generated a lot of media interest:
- Top players test casino games created by UNLV students (13 Action News)
- UNLV students study the real way to make money off casinos (CBS This Morning News)
- Gaming of the future: UNLV involves students in casino innovation (News 3)
- UNLV program offers gaming innovations (Las Vegas Now)
- From Classroom to Casino Floor (UNLV News Center)
- Student from UNLV Gaming Innovation Program Sells Idea to Industry Leader Konami (UNLV News Center)
- Proof Is in the Patent (UNLV News Center)