In order to participate in the program, graduate students must:
- have completed at least one year of graduate studies at UNLV by program start date.
- currently be enrolled.
- be in good academic standing in a graduate degree program.
Interested students that meet the eligibility requirements must email the completed application package as a single PDF to the Graduate College Professional Development Academy at email@example.com by 5 p.m. on Monday, April 8, 2019.
The subject line of the email should consist of: Your Last Name-Graduate Rebel Ambassadors Program Application.
The application package consists of:
- Completed and signed Graduate Rebel Ambassadors Program Application
- CV or resume
- One page, single-spaced essay outlining why you would like to be a Graduate Rebel Ambassado and the skills or traits you will bring to the program
- Letter of Support from your graduate faculty advisor, mentor, or graduate coordinator
Once applications have been reviewed, we will invite those who meet the requirements in for an interview. From here, we will select students to become our new cohort of ambassadors. If you are selected, you will be notified through your RebelMail and announced to the campus shortly thereafter. Please contact the Graduate College Professional Development Academy at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or need additional information.
The primary role of the Grad Rebel Ambassdaors is to serve as the official graduate student representatives for the Graduate College. As such:
- Ambassadors will be expected to attend all mandatory meetings/ training sessions.
- Ambassadors must attend a minimum of two events in the Fall semester.
- Ambassadors must attend a minimum of three events in the Spring semester.
- Participation in the Rebel Grad Slam is mandatory for all ambassadors. The only exception is if an ambassador applies to and is accepted to participate in the Graduate Showcase (although we still encourage you to participate in the Rebel Grad Slam).
- At the end of each semester, the Graduate Rebel Ambassadors Program Semester Event and Meeting Form must be submitted via email at email@example.com.
This program allows you to be an active member in building a strong graduate community at UNLV. It will also help with professional development, including strengthening leadership, communication, and networking skills. The program enables ambassadors to be engaged with local community members, and to be advocates on behalf of graduate education. In addition, Graduate Rebel Ambassadors who successfully fulfill their required responsibilities will be awarded a $500 Access Grant at the end of each term.
Please note: You must have a current FAFSA form on file. If you owe money for current or prior terms, the award funds will be applied towards that balance. Disbursement of the access grant can take between 4-6 weeks after we have confirmed completion of program requirements.
Once admitted, all participants will need to complete all of the requirements. If a student is not in good standing in their degree program, or if they create any problems as a participant in the program, they may be removed from the program at the discretion of the graduate college dean. Please be familiar with UNLV's Student Conduct policies.
Hear from Past Participants
- As Bryant McGill said, "We love most those who we serve most." "I love UNLV more now and feel more invested after having served as an ambassador. I would not have thought to be a donating alumni to the graduate college before this experience but I plan to do so now. I hope to also continue attending events on my own as an alumni."
- "Grad Rebel Ambassadors allowed me to feel pride in my university and the Graduate College, to meet new people in other colleges and make friends, and to experience first-hand all the amazing things the students at UNLV do."
- "The Grad Rebel Ambassadors Program has pulled me out of my comfort zone and introduced me to the larger UNLV community that I would not have taken the chance to interact with had I not join this passionate group of individuals."
- "For me, being a graduate student ambassador has been an enriching part of my overall UNLV experience. I've enjoyed getting to know so many other graduate students, faculty, staff and administrators and has been a great way to feel involved and contribute something to this exciting place."