How can I plan for an optimal financial aid experience?
Read all information on the Financial Aid & Scholarships website. Help your student understand and navigate through the financial aid process. The MyUNLV portal and Rebel email are the two ways we communicate with students. Within MyUNLV your student can view their "To Do List" which indicates outstanding requirements relevant to the financial aid application/award processes. The "Communication Center" contains communications we send to your student. Students should learn to habitually check the "To Do List", the "Communications Center" and Rebel email. These are elementary responsibilities of UNLV students. Please help us ingrain these good habits in your student.
How can I make an appointment to speak with a financial aid counselor?
Financial aid counselors are available to speak with you at any time by phone or in person at our front desk during normal business hours. No appointment is necessary.
What is a FAFSA?
FAFSA is an acronym for Free Application for Federal Student Aid. The application is a prerequisite to receiving federal financial aid.
What is the UNLV school code for FAFSA?
What is an EFC?
When you apply for federal student aid, your financial information is used in a formula established by the U.S. Congress. This formula determines the student’s Expected Family Contribution (EFC), an amount you and your student are expected to contribute toward educational expenses. The EFC is used in an equation to determine financial need. Your EFC can be found on the first page of your FAFSA Student Aid Report (SAR).
What is the priority filing date for FAFSA?
For example, the priority filing date for Fall 2018 is Nov. 1, 2017.
The priority file date has passed. Can my child still fill out a FAFSA?
Yes. A FAFSA can be filed at any point during the current aid year. Pell Grants and Federal Stafford loans are issued year-round and are not subject to priority filing considerations. However, consideration for many UNLV scholarships and the Federal Perkins Loan is dependent upon a Nov. 1 FAFSA submission.
Why do I need to provide my income/tax information to FAFSA?
For financial aid purposes, a traditional undergraduate student is generally considered a dependent student. Dependent students are required to provide parent information to be considered for most types of financial aid. Get more information regarding dependency status for financial aid purposes.
What is the phone number for…?
If you need contact information for UNLV offices, please use the A-Z Index online or call the UNLV Campus Operator at 702-895-3011.

How can my child receive consideration for UNLV Scholarships?
Consideration for general UNLV scholarships is automatic and contingent upon criteria such as GPA, test scores, and financial need. A FAFSA is only required for scholarships that have a financial need stipulation. Your child should also check with his/her specific college and department to inquire about additional scholarship opportunities. Get a listing of UNLV scholarships and requirements.
Can the Millennium Scholarship be used for summer term enrollment?
Yes. For summer term enrollment, a student must pay out-of-pocket for courses and will be reimbursed by the Millennium office at $80 per credit hour. This reimbursement is issued in October.

How much should I borrow?
A debt calculator is available to assist parents in determining how much they should borrow.
What is the Federal Parent PLUS loan?
Parents of dependent undergraduates with a good credit history may receive PLUS loans to assist with their child’s cost of attendance. A parent may borrow up to the cost of education minus other financial aid. Visit the Loans for Parents of Dependent Students page
My credit check for the Federal Parent PLUS loan came back negative and I do not have an endorser. How can my child meet his/her cost of attendance?
If your credit check came back negative, your child will be able to borrow additional unsubsidized loan monies pursuant to their grade level. PLUS loan substitution forms can be accessed here.

How is financial aid distributed?
All financial aid first goes toward any outstanding UNLV bill your child might have. If there is no outstanding bill, or the financial aid exceeds your current bill, a refund for any remaining funds will either be direct deposited (if your child has set up direct deposit through their MyUNLV Student Center) OR be sent to the address on file with UNLV if they have not set up direct deposit. Refunds are generally sent out beginning with the first week of classes each semester and are sent out weekly thereafter. A refund will be processed if the student's account results in a negative balance. Per UNLV's credit card merchant agreement, if you paid tuition and fees with a credit or debit card, the card will be refunded first
How many credits must my child take in order to receive financial aid?
For loans, your child must take a minimum of six undergraduate credits per semester (half-time enrollment). Most grants are pro-rated based on your child's actual enrollment.
Will financial aid cover student housing?
If your child is living in the residence halls, housing charges will be included in the UNLV tuition bill. Financial aid will pay first toward tuition charges and then toward on-campus housing charges if there are sufficient funds. If your child lives off-campus, housing charges must be paid independently with excess financial aid funds or other resources.
What is FERPA?
FERPA refers to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, a federal law that protects the privacy of student educational records. Access to certain aspects of your child’s educational records may be restricted due to FERPA guidelines.
How can I access information regarding my child’s financial aid?
To be able to speak with us regarding your student's financial aid, your student must complete the FERPA Third Party Release. The process to do so is explained here.
How can my child receive in-state tuition?
Residency status is determined through the Office of Admissions. Learn about the criteria and documentation information for Nevada residency.
How can I estimate my child’s cost of attendance?
You can use the cost of attendance calculator to estimate expected direct and indirect costs. You can use the tuition and fee calculator to estimate tuition and fee charges based on your child's specific enrollment.
How can I access my child’s bill?
Your child s bill can be accessed through their MyUNLV Student Center.
Can financial aid be used for summer term enrollment?
Yes, if your child has eligibility. To have their eligibility for Summer financial aid evaluated, your child must complete a summer aid application which is available online in late February or early March AND have a FAFSA for that academic year on file.
Can my child receive financial aid at two institutions simultaneously?
No. Federal financial aid can only be distributed to one institution per semester. It is important when transferring institutions to formally cancel financial aid with the previous institution by contacting their financial aid office. However, for the purposes of the Millennium Scholarship, if your child would like to combine their enrollment between two local institutions, they may fill out a Millennium co-enrollment form.

I provide no financial support for my child. Can he/she appeal for independent status?
Refusal to provide financial/housing assistance or failure to claim your child as a dependent on your federal income tax returns does not qualify your student as independent. To appeal for independent status, your child must meet one of the criteria.
My financial situation has changed significantly since my last tax filing. Is there a way to adjust my child’s financial aid package to reflect my current income status?
Yes. Changes in income are common in the current economic climate. Your child may initiate a special circumstances appeal by completing the Special Circumstances Appeal.

How can my child maintain his/her financial aid eligibility?
There are three components to the Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements for undergraduate students to maintain financial aid eligibility. Check here for detailed information regarding Satisfactory Academic Progress. Please note that scholarships (including the Millennium Scholarships) have their own eligibility criteria.

The census date is the date your financial aid eligibility is locked in each semester. If you change your enrollment level on or before the census date, your aid eligibility will be adjusted. However, if you change your enrollment level after the census date, your aid eligibility will not be adjusted unless you drop all of your classes. It is recommended that you talk with a financial aid counselor if you are considering dropping all of your classes.