Doctor of Philosophy - Public Health
The School of Public Health at UNLV is pleased to offer a doctoral program (Ph.D.) in Public Health. The Ph.D. in Public Health is designed to prepare students for careers in which advanced analytical and conceptual capabilities are required, such as university teaching, research, consulting, policy development or other high-level positions. The curriculum provides a comprehensive and interdisciplinary examination of topics and experiences necessary to produce graduates who are ready to secure employment in the public health arena.
The Ph.D. in Public Health at UNLV offers four areas of concentration:
- Global and Environmental Health
- Epidemiology and Biostatistics
- Social and Behavioral Health
- Health Service Management and Policy
The specific goal of the program is to train exceptional researchers and professionals who will advance the field of Public Health and meet the needs of the profession and society. To achieve this goal, the program will address the learning objectives stated below as outcomes upon completion of the Ph.D.
For information regarding accreditation at UNLV, please head over to Academic Program Accreditations.
- Design and conduct independent research that generates new knowledge, and is characterized by conceptual and methodological rigor.
- Demonstrate excellence in applying the theoretical and problem solving aspects of public health in their specialty area.
- Demonstrate ethical choices, values and professional practices implicit in public health decisions.
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of major local, national, and global public health issues in their field of specialization.
- Demonstrate a preparedness to pursue a lifetime of self-directed learning and professional development.
- Communicate knowledge and research findings to appropriate professional, scientific, policy, and lay audiences and demonstrate skills in translating research into practice or health policy.
If there are no Plans of Study listed under this program, they may be listed under one of its sub-plans.