Doctor of Philosophy - Civil and Environmental Engineering
The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering & Construction (CEEC) at UNLV offers a number of areas of engineering leading to the Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) - Civil and Environmental Engineering. Specific areas of engineering that are currently available include Construction, Geotechnical, Structural, Transportation, and Water Resources/Environmental. The PhD degree in chosen area is awarded based on the scholarly contribution provided by the candidate in his/her area of research. It is expected that the PhD candidate should demonstrate in depth knowledge in the subject matter of his/her chosen area of expertise. PhD students should follow the graduate rules and milestones of the program mentioned in CEEC Graduate Student Handbook.
For information regarding accreditation at UNLV, please head over to Academic Program Accreditations.
The student learning outcomes are:
- An ability to develop, evaluate, and assess new techniques, skills, and tools to solve complex engineering and construction related problems.
- An ability to acquire extensive engineering and construction knowledge in the area of their expertise (construction, geotechnical, structural, transportation, and water resources/environmental).
- An ability to critically read and analyze literature, develop research hypothesis, and create methodology to solve research problems related to the area of their expertise.
- An ability to collect and analyze research data interpret and synthesize the findings through peer reviewed conference proceedings and journal papers.
- Effectively communicate technical and research information.
A Ph.D. in Civil & Environmental Engineering is usually not necessary for employment as a licensed professional civil engineer. A Ph.D. degree is generally required for hire into research positions in government research laboratories, research institutes, large engineering companies, and for teaching and research positions in academia.
If there are no Plans of Study listed under this program, they may be listed under one of its sub-plans.