Our German minor enhances the study of most UNLV majors in sciences and humanities and is also essential for graduate study.
For information regarding accreditation at UNLV, please head over to Academic Program Accreditations.
- Students will be able to engage in conversation, provide and obtain information, express feelings and emotions, and exchange opinions.
- Students will be able to understand and interpret written and spoken language on a variety of topics.
- Students will be able to present information, concepts and ideas to an audience of listeners or readers on a variety of topics.
- Students will be able to demonstrate an understanding of the relationship between the practices and perspectives of the cultures studied.
- Students will be able to demonstrate an understanding of the relationship between the products (artifacts) and perspectives of the cultures studied.
- Students will be able to reinforce and further their knowledge of other disciplines through the foreign language.
- Students will be able to acquire information and recognize the distinctive viewpoints that are only available through the foreign language and its cultures.
- Students will be able to demonstrate understanding of the nature of language through comparisons of the language studied and their own.
- Students will be able to demonstrate understanding of the concept of culture through comparisons of the cultures studied and their own.
- Students will be able to use the language both within and beyond the school setting.
- Students will be able to show evidence of becoming life-long learners by using the language for personal enjoyment and enrichment.
In Las Vegas
Germans, Austrians and Swiss spend more on tourism than any other nationality. Your ability to serve them in their native language increases your potions for good jobs in the hotel, hospitality or other sectors here in the southwest. Or become a German teacher yourself.
Around the USA
Taking German shows that you enjoy a challenge-going beyond common language requirements. That impresses recruiters. In high-tech, business, the arts, the military and many government agencies, German helps get you that first job or into graduate school, business, law and medical school
Germany is our largest European trading partner and the anchor country of the European Union. European diplomats, lawyers, bankers, business people, and others study German-and also need workers who speak it.
Minor in German Studies
Plans of Study