The degree is a professional doctorate. It is designed for individuals interested in developing skills in policymaking and policy implementation at all levels of government. Completion of this degree will prepare students to conduct policy analysis, advocate for public policies and community-based solutions, or serve in decision-making positions. Its focus is to integrate what is known about the policy process into a set of skills and abilities so individuals can be competent actors in the policy arena. Course delivery is very structured with courses offered in a very specific sequence on Friday and Saturdays over five semesters.
For information regarding accreditation at UNLV, please head over to Academic Program Accreditations.
- Students should be able to identify and frame problems to be placed on the policy agenda.
- Students will develop the skills to conduct cost/benefit analysis and to write a fiscal note.
- Students should be able to articulate arguments for and against a policy proposal.
- Students should be able to develop action plans for the implementation of programs.
- Students will demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to develop a policy/program evaluation.
Doctor of Public Policy
Plans of Study