Master's Degree Requirements
In order to earn a master’s degree in our department, you must pass at least 30 credits of 600- and 700-level courses with a grade of C or better, subject to the following conditions and Graduate College policy:
- At least 24 credits must be in computer science.
- At least 18 credits of computer science courses must be at the 700 level.
- If equivalent courses have not been taken previously, CS 656, 660, and 677 must be included.
- At most, six credits of CS 791 (Thesis Option) or three credits of CS 790 (Project Option) can be included.
- If the Thesis Option is selected, you will need to submit a thesis conforming to the specifications of the Graduate College and pass a final oral examination covering the thesis and course work.
- For the Project Option, you will need to complete a computer science project and report approved by your advisor and pass a final oral examination over the project and course work.
- A GPA of 3.0 or higher must be maintained at all times while in the program. If your GPA falls below that, you will be placed on academic probation. If during the next regular semester the GPA stays below 3.0, then you will be dropped from the graduate program.