Review Application Requirements & Submit Application
Note that the minimum GPA is 2.75 per the UNLV Graduate College Standards (see the application requirements).
- Follow the instructions for the online application process. Remember, you may save your work in the application and then log back in using your user name and password, so you do not need to complete this application all at one time; however, once you hit the final SUBMIT button at the end of the application, you cannot re-enter or make any additional changes.
- Find more information about admissions on the graduate college website.
- Apply to the graduate college online.
- Download the MFT program application and complete it.
- Complete a Personal Statement: Write a brief, autobiographical essay outlining your interest in becoming a marriage and family therapist. Please include a discussion of your personal and family background and how your experiences have led to your decision to pursue a career as a marriage and family therapist. Please also include a discussion of your professional goals. (Please type – four-page double-spaced maximum)
- Complete an Essay on the Family: Write a brief essay in response to the following questions: "What is your definition of family? What is the biggest challenge or issue facing families today?" (Please type – two-page double-spaced maximum). Email the MFT program application, personal statement, and essay on the family to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Complete the GRE (Graduate Record Examination)
- Your application should include your scores on the verbal and quantitative sections of the GRE General Test. While there is no minimum GRE score for admission, students accepted into the program typically 150 (verbal) and 141 (quantitative). We will accept scores from both the old and new test. (Note: the GRE must be taken by applicants within the last five years). Be advised that we must receive your GRE scores by the January 15th deadline for you to be considered. Applicants who apply by Jan 15th but do not take their GRE until after the 15th will not be considered.
- As part of your test fee, you may request that scores be sent to as many as four graduate institutions. Be sure to have your results sent to the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Your scores will be sent to you and UNLV in 10-15 days following the test. The institutional GRE code is 4861. You can also request at a later date that your scores be sent to UNLV, but you will be charged an additional fee.
- When you complete the UNLV Graduate College online application, please enter your GRE scores. Your application will not be considered complete without your GRE scores. We will then verify the scores you report with the official scores sent to UNLV. In order to be admitted to the program, we must have the official scores sent to the university.
- Get more information about the GRE. Note: Only applicants possessing doctoral degrees are exempt from the GRE requirement.
Complete the CFT Program Admissions Application
Complete and Submit Two Essays
Applicants should upload these through the Graduate Program Supplementary Information section of the online application.
- Personal Statement: Write a brief, autobiographical essay outlining your interest in becoming a marriage and family therapist. Please include a discussion of your personal and family background and how your experiences have led to your decision to pursue a career as a marriage and family therapist. Please also include a discussion of your professional goals. (Please type – four-page double-spaced maximum)
- Essay on the Family: Write a brief essay in response to the following questions: "What is your definition of family? What is the biggest challenge or issue facing families today?" (Please type – two-page double-spaced maximum)
Upload Copies of Transcripts
If available, upload copies of all undergraduate and previous graduate work into the online application and have official copies of transcripts sent to the UNLV Graduate College:
University of Nevada, Las Vegas
FDH 352, Box 451017
4505 S. Maryland Parkway
Las Vegas, NV 89154-1017
Note: If you are unable to upload copies of your transcripts into the online application, you must send a copy directly to the Marriage and Family Therapy Program. However, we strongly encourage you to upload copies of your transcripts in the online application in order to expedite the review of your application.
Submit Three Letters of Recommendation
Applicants should request letters of recommendation from three individuals. Ideally, these recommendations should come from professors, professionals in the mental health field, and/or employers who can address your qualifications and potential for graduate study, the field of marriage and family therapy, or both. (Friends, family members, and acquaintances are not acceptable references.)
- It is preferred that applicants request letters through the online application, which directs recommenders to submit their letters electronically. Instructions are outlined within the online application (click on the "Recommendations" link). If the recommender, however, cannot send the letter electronically, they may send the recommendation directly to the program.
- It is your responsibility to follow up with your references to make sure the deadline is met.
Upon review by the program Admissions Committee, a select group of applicants will be invited to participate in interviews with the program faculty on campus.
Applicants are responsible for making sure all materials arrive by the deadline. If you have any questions about the application process, please contact Dr. Hertlein, Professor and Program Director, at 702-895-3210 or email@example.com.
A limited number of graduate assistantships are offered on a competitive basis each semester. If you are interested in applying for a GA position, please complete the Financial Support Information section of the online application. GA applicants must also submit a GA application online. Instructions for this are on the Graduate College homepage. In order to submit an application, you will need your student ID number (NSHE number). Please call the UNLV Graduate College (702-895-3320) to get your NSHE number. It is also highly recommended that you upload your resume/CV in the Graduate Program Supplementary Information part of the online application. Please visit the Graduate Assistants webpage for more information or contact the graduate college if you have questions about the application process.