The Graduate Certificate in K-8 Integrated STEM Education is designed for individuals in pursuit of professional advancement in the field of STEM Education at the K-8 level. The certificate enables teachers to advance in their knowledge of methods for integrating STEM subjects, curriculum available for STEM integration, research done on integrated STEM education, and content knowledge of mathematics and science needed to effectively facilitate integrated STEM education learning.
For information regarding accreditation at UNLV, please head over to Academic Program Accreditations.
Students will be able to:
- Integrate knowledge of mathematical content into effective integrated STEM lessons.
- Integrate knowledge of science content into effective integrated STEM lessons.
- Discuss trends and issues in integrated STEM education.
- Explain how K-8 students learn and think mathematically and scientifically and analyze the psychological and sociological influences on students.
- Create an integrated STEM lesson plan with a focus on engineering design, mathematical modeling, and technology integration.
- Create effective integrated STEM lessons that respect the diversity of backgrounds in a classroom.
- Demonstrate application of the materials and resources available for implementing a standards-based approach to the teaching and learning of STEM education.
- Synthesize research and application literature to demonstrate conceptual mathematical understanding.
- Synthesize research and application literature to demonstrate conceptual science understanding.
- Synthesize K-8 STEM Education theoretical research and application literature into models of effective STEM education teaching.
- Describe and analyze the current K-8 STEM Education Curriculum.
- Describe and analyze the current K-8 STEM Education Standards in the United States.
- Analyze the components of K-8 STEM Education Programs.
- Demonstrate the ability to conduct action research on STEM Education.
Linda Quinn, Ed.D.
Sophie Ladd, Ph.D.
Associate Professor in Residence
Department of Teaching and Learning
The Department of Teaching & Learning holds as its central mission educational research and the preparation of educators at all levels. The department ensures that its professional education programs are based on essential knowledge, established and current research findings, and sound professional practice.
College of Education
The College of Education creates an intellectual environment that promotes quality instruction, significant research, and professional service. With four unique departments, graduates receive the necessary tools and experiences to make an impact on local, national, and global scales.