This certificate is part of a larger graduate program (MS) in Cybersecurity offered by UNLV. The cybersecurity program is recognized by a joint designation as a national center of academic excellence in cyber defense education (CAE CDE) by the NSA and DHS. This program is a joint offering from the College of Engineering and the School of Business. This is somewhat unique in that many cybersecurity programs are offered solely from engineering schools, or a few from business schools. This duality within the program ensures that students in the program are exposed to the hard skills related to the engineering/hardware/software aspects of cybersecurity, but also to the managerial skills of controls, risk management, audit, governance and strategic management related to cybersecurity. Students will thus have a more well-rounded education and opportunity to specialize more to their strengths within cybersecurity.
The field of cybersecurity is quite large and completely technical to non-technical skill sets are needed to meet the demands of this industry. With not enough students and professionals entering the field, there is a dearth of supply to meet the coming demands of all industries. This is thus a great time to think about and get into cybersecurity, and education is the first step to do this.
Our program takes an applied approach, involving projects, networking, guest speakers and a focus on learning outside of the textbook and the class. We are focused on getting you the skills to hit the ground running so that you may immediately begin your career.
The certificate in Cybersecurity is an introductory method for those to try out the graduate program, without committing to the entire 30 credit hours. Specifically, the certificate requires 12 credit hours (4 courses). The only required course within this smaller program is the security analytics course. Then in consultation with your advisor, you would select three other courses to build upon or in the area of cyber that you would like to develop for your career.
The certificate program is ideal for:
- Professionals who have some job requirements that deal with cybersecurity and desire to have a quick background in cybersecurity
- Professionals in cybersecurity who lack a graduate education, but cannot commit to a full 2-year long program, or lack the academic credentials to immediately enter into the graduate program. This could then serve as a pipeline for the student to try out the program, and the program to ascertain whether you could complete the entire MS program
- Individuals who are thinking of switching their career trajectory into cyber, and wish to try out the concepts and ideas
- Individuals who are in cybersecurity and wish to hone their soft or hard skills through a focused certificate program
For information regarding accreditation at UNLV, please head over to Academic Program Accreditations.
- Evaluate the computer network and information security needs of an organization.
- Assess cybersecurity risk management policies in order to adequately protect critical resources and assets.
- Demonstrate a mastery of in-depth knowledge of cybersecurity.
- Formulate, update and communicate regarding organizational cyber-related strategies and policies.
Graduate Certificate in Cybersecurity
Plans of Study