The Office of Student Conduct understands that many students are unwilling participants in the student conduct process. This page is designed to assist students in navigating the policies and procedures of the Office of Student Conduct, and provide answers to some initial concerns. Choose from the categories below to get answers to students most frequently asked questions.

General Information

How do I file a report?

For potential violations of the Student Conduct Code, fill out an Incident Report Form. If you are not sure that the incident may be a Student Conduct Code violation, please review our mediation services and our UNLV Support Team to see if the Office of Student Conduct can assist you.

What is the best way to contact the Office of Student Conduct?

Visit our office between 8 a.m.-5 p.m., Mondays-Fridays in the Central Desert Complex Building 1, call us at 702-895-2308, or email us at

Student Conduct Process

What are my rights in the Student Conduct Process?

The rights of students at UNLV can be found in the UNLV Student Conduct Code. Rights of students alleged of conduct violations can be found in the Student Conduct Code.

I received a letter from the Office of Student conduct with an appointment date and time. What is the purpose of this meeting?

Information gathering process: After speaking with the student/student organization, the Office of Student Conduct will determine if a violation of the Student Conduct Code has taken place, and if so, the student may resolve the charges through an Informal Resolution or a Formal Resolution.

If I have criminal proceedings for the same incident, isn’t going through the Student Conduct process double-jeopardy?

The University student conduct process is an educational administrative process; therefore, double-jeopardy does not apply.

Can I delay a student conduct case while resolving a criminal issue?

At the discretion of UNLV officials, conduct action at the university may be delayed. Some instances will require the UNLV to continue to move forward while civil and/or criminal proceedings are pending or in progress.

Can the university take action if the alleged incident took place off-campus?

The University has the authority and jurisdiction to address off-campus conduct; including conduct arising out of a student’s membership with UNLV and, conduct that impacts the UNLV community and off-campus University-sponsored activities.

What happens if I miss this initial appointment?

If you do not to attend the initial appointment, the Office of Student Conduct will continue the information gathering process, and may do any of the following:

  • Dismiss the case.
  • Place a registration hold and/or transcript hold until the case is resolved.
  • Refer the case for a Formal Resolution.
  • Place a “No Show/No Call” Administrative Fee.

In instances where you do not attend a hearing, a decision is reached without your input.

May I have an advisor present? Does my advisor need to be an attorney?

As noted under Section Two of the Student Conduct Code, you may have an advisor present during any stage of the conduct process, but the advisor may not speak on your behalf or participate directly in the conduct process. If you choose to have an attorney as an advisor, it is a cost endured solely by you. The Office of Student Conduct must be notified at least five (5) college working days in advance of the hearing the name and address of your advisor and whether the advisor is an attorney.

Is there a burden of proof in the student conduct process?

The Student Conduct process is an educational process where the determination of responsibility is based on a standard of whether it is more likely than not that the charged student/student organization violated the Student Conduct Code.

What are the potential consequences of being found responsible for violating the Student Conduct Code?

While there may be some standard responses to violations, each specific response will be determined on a case-by-case basis. We don’t predict the outcome of a case before all of the information has been considered. Get a list of potential sanctions.

What if I disagree with the outcome of a hearing?

If you disagree with the decision made by a student conduct coordinator during an Informal Resolution, you may request a Formal Resolution. If you disagree with the outcome of a Formal Resolution, you may appeal that decision to the Vice President for Student Affairs or their designee.

Will my parents be notified of the outcome?

If you are considered a minor (under the age of 18) your parents or legal guardians shall be notified if you are placed on suspension or expulsion from the university. Parent/guardian notification may occur if you are under 21 years old and found responsible for violating the alcohol or controlled substance policy. For more information please review the Alcohol Response Policy and Controlled Substance Policy.

Will a Student Conduct Code violation affect my financial aid or scholarship?

Instances of misappropriating your financial aid, drug violations, or failure to make academic prograss may affect your eligibility for federal student loans. Please contact the Financial Aid Office for more information. Most Student Conduct Code violations will not affect scholarships, but a student should read the individual conditions of the scholarship.

What happens if I do not complete my sanctions?

Failing to complete sanctions is a Student Conduct Code violation and additional sanctions may be assigned. A registration/enrollment hold may be placed on your account.

Student Academic Misconduct Policy

The instructor said I plagiarized when I just forgot to properly cite a source (i.e., forgot quotation marks, forgot to attribute to source). How is that academic misconduct?

UNLV definitions of academic misconduct include acts that are both intentional and unintentional.

If I am alleged to have committed academic misconduct, should I still attend class?

Yes. An allegation of academic misconduct does not guarantee you will receive a failing grade or any other sanction for the course. If you successfully appeal the allegation of academic misconduct, you will be given credit for all the coursework you completed. Ask your instructor about the departmental policy for academic misconduct.

What are the consequences of being found responsible of academic misconduct? Will I get suspended from UNLV?

UNLV does not typically suspend students for first time academic misconduct violations. Get a list of all potential sanctions.

The instructor did not meet with me to discuss the allegations, can they do that?

An instructor should always try to have an initial meeting with a student regarding the allegations of academic misconduct, but the instructor may forward the allegations directly to the Office of Student Conduct in compelling circumstances (i.e. end of the semester, unable to contact student, additional allegations exist). The Office of Student Conduct will then confirm that the student receives a full opportunity to discuss allegations of academic misconduct.

The instructor said that they will not accept any future coursework from me even though I am appealing, can they do that?

If you are only alleged to have committed academic misconduct, the instructor must allow you to continue to attend class and submit assignments while you are appealing and exercising due process. If additional allegations are included with an allegation of academic misconduct (e.g. disruptive student behavior, harassment, threatening behavior) an instructor may prohibit a student from continuing in the class.

The instructor said that they will not change my grade even if I appeal, can they do that?

If a student successfully appeals their allegation of academic misconduct, or successfully appeals the academic sanctions given by the responsible instructor, the department chair, or the Academic Integrity Appeal Board, has the authority to have the grade restored to what it would have been without the charge.

What happens if I win my academic appeal but I have registered, paid, and am taking the same course the following semester?

In an instance where the academic appeal process has carried over into a subsequent semester, the Office of Student Conduct will work with the Registrar’s Office to request a reimbursement for the cost of tuition for the course.

I am afraid if I appeal, there will be retribution by the instructor, can they increase my academic sanctions?

A faculty member may not increase academic sanctions as a punitive action for a student exercising their due process rights. Academic sanctions may be increased by the department chair or the Academic Integrity Appeal Board if they feel more severe sanctions would be educationally appropriate.