Our office understands that handling student behavior is not faculty and staff’s primary responsibility or forte. This page is designed to help you better navigate through the services that the Office of Student Conduct provides. Please choose from the categories below to get answers to your most frequently asked questions.

How do I file a report?

For all violations other than academic misconduct of the Student Conduct Code, use the Incident Report Form. For instances of academic misconduct, use the Alleged Academic Misconduct Report Form. If the incident may not be a Student Conduct Code violation, please review our UNLV Support Team to see if the Office of Student Conduct can assist you.

What is the best way to contact the Office of Student Conduct?

Visit our office between 8 a.m.-5 p.m., Mondays-Fridays in the Central Desert Complex Building 1, call us at 702-895-2308, or email us at officeofstudentconduct@unlv.edu.

How can I request a presentation?

Choose from our list of trainings and presentations and then fill out a presentation request form.

I suspect a student committed academic misconduct, what do I do next?

Per the Student Academic Misconduct Policy, responsible instructors should notify the students and offer to have an initial meeting with the student within five college working days.

Do I have to forward allegations of academic misconduct to the Office of Student Conduct?

If you believe academic misconduct has occurred at any level, you must notify the Office of Student Conduct and submit the Alleged Academic Misconduct Report. It is helpful to include the coursework which serves as the basis of the allegations, as well as any other supporting documentation (e.g. course syllabus, emails, highlighted student papers). In cases of plagiarism, it is also helpful to include copies of the original sources. If after meeting with the student you dismiss the allegations, you do not need to forward any information to the Office of Student Conduct.

I do not feel comfortable confronting students, can I just forward the information onto the Office of Student Conduct?

The procedures for handling allegations of academic misconduct are meant to allow an educational dialogue between faculty and student; a discussion about specific offense, academic integrity and how it relates to professional codes of conduct. Responsible instructors may forward the alleged academic misconduct report form when compelling circumstances exist (e.g. end of the academic year, unable to make contact with student, student has missed multiple scheduled appointments, additional allegations of the Student Conduct Code accompany the allegation of academic misconduct).

I suspect a group of students are involved in the same act of academic misconduct. Do I meet with them all individually or as a group?

In accordance with Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), instructors should meet with students individually to maintain privacy.

May I meet with a student multiple times before making a determination of responsibility or academic sanctions?

Yes. In instances where multiple students may be involved and/or where you would like to gather more information, you may make multiple meetings with a student before making a final determination of responsibility.

Once I forward the information to the Office of Student Conduct, is my involvement complete?

In most cases, yes. The Office of Student Conduct may ask you to provide additional information if any is needed. In instances where a student appeals, you may be notified and asked to serve as a witness to provide the Academic Integrity Appeal Board with an explanation as to your rationale for findings of academic misconduct and proposed academic sanctions.

How do I know if a student’s behavior violates the Student Conduct Code?

If you suspect a student conduct violation has occurred, please fill out the Incident Report Form. The Office of Student Conduct will make the final determination what, if any, violations have occurred. If you would prefer, you may contact us before filing a report.

How do I file a student conduct referral?

To file a Student Conduct Code referral, you need to fill out an Incident Report Form.

How can I address students who display disruptive behavior, who lead class discussions off subject, who argue over class requirements, and who are generally rude to other classmates?

For most instances of disruptive student behavior, we recommend the following steps:

  • Meet with the student to allow them the opportunity to correct the behavior.
  • Send a formal warning regarding the behavior, or refer the behavior to the Office of Student Conduct.
  • Administratively drop the student from the course. This action requires the approval by the dean of the college. If a responsible instructor feels a student may need to be immediately dropped from a course please contact us.

Academic Good Standing

Students enrolled at the university who maintain a UNLV grade point balance of zero or above, that is, a UNLV cumulative grade point average necessary to be considered in good standing. The university will place a student on probation in the UNLV grade point balance falls below zero. Students should seek advice from their academic advisor for the most current information on UNLV cumulative grade point average requirements.


Intentionally using or attempting to use unauthorized materials, information or study aids.


To compel or unduly influence in any way an action of another.

Controlled Substance

A drug or substance listed in the schedules contained in the Nevada revised Statues.

Disciplinary Good Standing

Students enrolled at the university who are not currently under disciplinary probation, suspension or expulsion. Failure to maintain disciplinary good standing may result in exclusion from participation in privileges and extracurricular activities.


Sale, exchange, transfer, delivery, or gift or sale or exchange for personal profit.


To bring into danger or peril.


All employees of the university and community college system of Nevada in teaching, research, or service, whose notice of appointment is as lecturer, instructor, assistant professor, associate professor, professor or otherwise designated as faculty on the notice of appointment.

Greek Life

Any student affiliated with a social Greek-letter fraternal organization, or that organization itself; specifically those fraternities and sororities recognized by the University.


Any method of initiation into or affiliation with the University community, a student organization, a sports team, an academic association, or other group engaged in by an individual, whether on or off campus, that intentionally or recklessly endangers another individual or that destroys or removes public or private property. Such activities include, but are not limited to, paddling in any form, physical or psychological shocks, late work sessions which interfere with scholastic activities, advocating or promoting alcohol or substance abuse, tests of endurance, submission of members or prospective members to potentially dangerous or hazardous circumstances or activities which have a foreseeable potential for resulting in personal injury, or any activity which by its nature may have a potential to cause mental distress, panic, human degradation, or embarrassment.


A number of persons who are associated with each other and who have complied with university requirements for recognition.


Representing the words or ideas of another as one’s own in any academic exercise.


Based upon.


Conduct which one should reasonably be expected to know would create a substantial risk of harm to persons or property or which would otherwise be likely to result in interference with university or university-sponsored activities.


Conditions, measures and/or activities assigned as a result of being found responsible for a code violation, the clear purpose of which would be to redirect behavior.


Any unauthorized seeking of trade, contributions, attendance or support.

University Official

Any member of the campus community holding an office or position that authorizes them to perform functions of or uphold any university codes, rules and/or regulations.

University-Sponsored Activity

Any activity on or off campus, which is initiated, approved, or supervised by the university.