Our approach recognizes that we cannot simply tell people how to feel about UNLV; we must connect with them through compelling stories. Whether it’s a feature story, a social media campaign, or a video, we must focus on the audiences and demonstrate our value to them.
Our content must be:
- Clear, concise, and professional
- Provide an authentic view of the university
- Avoid academic/administrative jargon and marketing hyperbole
- Fulfill at least one of our Content Goals
UNLV Brand Content Goals
We strive to elevate news into memorable, audience-focused content that:
- Illustrates how the university’s mission, vision, and strategy serves our audiences
- Highlights UNLV’s role in building a better community and addressing the world issues that affect our audiences
- Shows the value of the unique expertise and thought leadership that UNLV offers our community
- Celebrates individual accomplishments and contributions to helping UNLV achieve Top Tier status
- Encourages connection, conversation, and participation in the life of the university
- Makes our audiences proud to be Rebels
Achieving these goals will inspire trust, loyalty, and action — turning our audiences into brand ambassadors.
Voice and Tone
UNLV’s personality — Rebellious, Relentless, and Purposeful — should come through in our communications. These words work together to convey our brand voice. We may have a young, rebellious streak, but we always put it to good use.
The tone is the nuanced expression of that personality depending on the situation. Tone takes into account the medium and audience we’re trying to reach.
||Daring, Bold, Audacious, Gutsy, Gritty, Unconventional
||Showing a desire to resist convention.
||Energetic, Youthful, Driven, Hard-working, Tenacious
||Showing or promising no abatement of severity, intensity, strength, or pace.
||Motivated, Inspired, Devoted, Caring, Committed, Community-centered
||Having or showing determination or resolve.
So for an undergraduate-focused social media post, the words and visuals can convey that this is place where they can focus their youthful energy to better their communities. A brochure targeting a community partner, on the other hand, will have a more formal presentation but still convey that UNLV pushes past challenges when partnering to solve our region’s biggest issues.