Nonstudent Employment

Individuals employed by the university who are enrolled in fewer than six credit hours for undergraduate status or five credit hours for graduate status per semester are classified as nonstudent (160/1000 hour) employees.

Once you are hired into a nonstudent (160/1000 hour) position and have completed all needed payroll paperwork, you will keep a record of the hours you have worked. You will submit your timesheet to your employing department once every two weeks. You will receive a payroll check for the hours that you reported.

This is a one-time, temporary appointment, and successive appointments are not allowed. Employment is restricted to working a maximum of 160 hours during any calendar year.

The limit for 1000-hour employees is on a fiscal year basis. The department is responsible to ensure that employees do not work more than 1000-hours in a fiscal year. If an employee’s hours exceed that threshold, the position becomes a retirement position under the NV Public Employees Retirement (NVPERS), and the employee will need to be enrolled retroactive to the beginning of that fiscal year. The department will be responsible for the retirement contributions owed for the employee, as well as any interest that PERS charges on those contributions.

Any questions regarding 160 hour or 1,000 hour employment should be directed to Human Resources at 702-895-3504.