Reflecting on 1 October: Research to Heal Our Community
Brookings Mountain West, in partnership with UNLV University Libraries, invites you to attend "Reflecting on 1 October: Using Research to Inform Public Policy & Heal Our Community," on Wednesday, Nov. 14 at 6:00p in Greenpsun Hall Auditorium on the UNLV Campus. The event will feature four research presentations, each centered on the 1 October tragedy in Las Vegas. Following the presentations, featured contributors from UNLV and the Brookings Institution will respond to questions posed by the moderator.
On October 1, 2017, Las Vegas joined a growing list of cities in the United States impacted by mass shootings (Blacksburg, Virginia; Newtown, Connecticut; San Bernardino, California; Orlando, Florida; Columbine, Colorado; Fort Hood, Texas; Parkland and Jacksonville, Florida and other locations). In the weeks following the tragedy, the nation and the Las Vegas community, including UNLV, responded with tributes to the victims, short- and long-term memorials to those killed and wounded, and calls to investigate the circumstances that led to this tragic event and to find ways to prevent future atrocities. Following the one-year anniversary of the 1 October tragedy, researchers from UNLV and the Brookings Institution continue to explore the impact of 1 October through a variety of approaches. From quantitative exploration, to qualitative analysis, and from oral histories, to social media data collection, the presentations in this community forum explore Las Vegas’s response and offer scholarly research to contribute to better public policy and understanding.
- Carol Graham, Senior Fellow, The Brookings Institution
- Mary Blankenship, Undergraduate Researcher, UNLV
- Caitlin J. Saladino, Director of Strategic Development & Operations, Brookings Mountain West and The Lincy Institute
- Claytee White, Director of Oral History Research Center, UNLV Libraries
- Barbara Tabach, Oral History Research Center, UNLV Libraries
- Thomas Padilla, Visiting Digital Research Services Librarian, UNLV Libraries
- Miranda Barrie, Undergraduate Researcher, UNLV
- William E. Brown, Jr., UNLV Director, Brookings Mountain West
This event is open to the public.
Brookings Mountain West
Brookings Mountain West - Special Events
UNLV University Libraries