Principles of Sports Wagering: Policy and Operations
As gaming jurisdictions prepare for an expansion of sports wagering after the U.S. Supreme Court’s ruling on PASPA, now is the time to gain an in-depth understanding of how regulated sports betting works.
The International Center for Gaming Regulation provides this two-day intensive seminar on the regulation of sports betting, and we are excited to return to an in-person seminar experience. This event falls under the ICGR's Sports Wagering track of executive education seminars.
UNLV houses one of the only academic institutes that has focused on the gaming industry for over 25 years. We are excited to once again offer our sports betting program: Principles of Sports Wagering. This program allows participants to gain a broad and deep education in sports wagering public policy, trends, operations, and other aspects of the gaming industry.
The event will start at approximately 9 a.m. PT each day. Exact details will be emailed prior to the start of the program.
Registration fees include the following:
- One registration for one individual to attend the two-day seminar
- All course materials
- Continental breakfast and lunch both days
- Transportation to and from tour at a local sportsbook
- Access to speakers who will be joining us both in person and online
A certificate of completion from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas will be awarded and delivered electronically at the end of the program.
- Current State of U.S. Sports Betting: An examination on the status of legislation, tax, licensing, and revenue projections across the U.S.
- Federal Law Updates: Post PASPA, what federal laws affect your sports betting operation? How do you interpret the Wire Act, Illegal Gambling Business Act, and Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act?
- Operational Models & Vendor Contracts: What new and existing jurisdictions need to look out for when soliciting and negotiating contracts with vendors.
- Sports Betting Basics and Terminology: Handle, hold, over, under, vig, juice. Learn the basic terminology and common bets.
- Retail and Mobile Operations: Setting up your retail sports book, mobile, and risk management.
- Sports Wagering Advertising/Marketing: Take a closer look at the controversies surrounding gambling advertising
- Sports Wagering and Public Policy: Learn about land and mobile sports betting, online gaming, and esports regulatory issues.
- Economics, Integrity, and Legal Issues - Where does each dollar go that is wagered through a sportsbook? What are the largest cost centers for land based and mobile sportsbooks?
- Enforcement Issues: Learn about regulatory enforcement, the role of law enforcement, administrative approvals, integrity, and best practices.
- Sports Wagering & Responsible Gaming: Understanding the meaning behind terminology including problem gambling, responsible gambling, and more.
- Sportsbook Tour: A two+ hour tour of sportsbook that includes a Q&A and information session.
Although the curriculum of the program is primarily designed for gaming regulators from either commercial or tribal jurisdictions, including gaming agency staff, Board or Commission members, legislators, or policymakers, it is open to anyone with an interest in the impact of legalized sports betting.
Please note the following:
- In the event a course is canceled, registrants will be notified as soon as possible and receive a full refund of their registration fee.
- A service fee of twenty percent (20%) will apply to all participant-initiated cancellations received seven or fewer days prior to the event.
- All cancellations and refund requests must be made in writing. Refunds granted for credit card charges will be credited to the original account charged. No refunds will be given in the event of “No Shows.” Refunds may take up to 3 weeks for processing.
For additional questions, please contact our team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
International Center for Gaming Regulation – the world’s only academic center dedicated to the study of regulations and their development for the land-based and online casino gaming industries.