The Department of Teaching & Learning holds as its central mission educational research and the preparation of educators at all levels. The department ensures that its professional education programs are based on essential knowledge, established and current research findings, and sound professional practice.
Mission & Values
The Department of Teaching and Learning delivers K-12 teacher education programs, conducts research, and provides professional service to school-based educational practice at local, state, national, and international levels. Our mission is accomplished through:
- Preparing educators who empower students as active and literate participants in a democratic and global society through a focus on core academics and essential skills.
- Establishing collaborative partnerships with schools to support the preparation of educators for diverse communities.
- Concentrating on Common Core State Standards that provide a consistent, clear message regarding curricular priorities.
- Using digital technologies to provide educational opportunities throughout the region.
- Creating and applying evidence-based research to all professional teaching areas, with particular emphasis on areas of national concern such as reading, mathematics, science, and technology.