Public Health Is Science and Social Justice
Public health is the science and the art of protecting and improving the health of communities through education, promotion of healthy lifestyles, and research for disease and injury prevention.
Public health is both a goal and the means to achieve the goal. It is what we as a society collectively do to ensure the conditions in which people can be healthy.
Public Health Is Population Health
We focus on entire populations rather than on individual patients. We ask why some populations are healthier than other populations.
Public health professionals monitor and diagnose the health concerns of entire communities and promote healthy practices and behaviors to ensure our populations stay healthy.
The Public Health Workforce
- Prevents Pollution of Air and Land
- Controls/Prevents Infectious Diseases and Outbreaks
- Reduces Death and Disability Due to Injuries
- Facilitates Community Empowerment
- Promotes Healthy Lifestyles
- Educates Populations at Risk
- Ensures Access to Cost-Effective Care
- Evaluates the Effectiveness of Interventions
Want to know more?
Visit the What is Public Health website for interesting information about the field of public health and public health careers.
There has never been a more exciting time to pursue a career in public health!