What is Psi Chi?
Psi Chi, the international honor society in psychology, is open to UNLV faculty or students who are making the study of psychology one of their major interests. Both undergraduate and graduate students who have registered for major or minor standing in psychology or for a program psychological in nature may be eligible for membership if other requirements are fulfilled.
Eligibility for undergraduates includes:
- Enrolled as a UNLV student and a psychology major or minor
- Completion of three college semesters (i.e., second-semester sophomore or beyond)
- Completion of nine credit hours of psychology courses
- Ranking in the top 35 percent of their class in general scholarship
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) in cumulative grades and a minimum GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) in psychology courses
Eligibility for graduate students includes:
- Minimum overall cumulative GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) for all graduate courses
If you do not meet the requirements for Psi Chi and still want to be involved, Psi Chi works side by side with psychology club which is open to anyone with an interest in psychology.
Membership in Psi Chi is an earned honor, which is for life. A permanent record of your membership is preserved at the Psi Chi international office and may be used for reference purposes such as applications for graduate school and jobs.
- Visit The Psi Chi Chapter & Psychology Club website.
- Fill out and submit the online application.
The Psychology Club is an organization for students who are interested in psychology and who want to be involved but who do not yet qualify to join Psi Chi. This organization gives students an opportunity to meet professors as well as other students who share common interests. Involved students also have the opportunity to get more familiar with UNLV psychology. In the past, the club has helped organized social activities and has invited speakers covering such topics as careers in psychology, getting more out of your UNLV psychology experience, and preparation for graduate school. The Psychology club coordinates activities with Psi Chi, the International Honor Society in Psychology. The two clubs meet together, plan and participate in the same events, and appear as one, inclusive group. There is no evident distinction between members of each club.
If you are interested in joining the Psychology Club, please attend one of our monthly meetings!