Percussion and Brazilian Ensembles
Percussion Ensemble (MUSE 161)
As a participant in this class/ensemble, you will:
- Gain a comprehensive knowledge of percussion ensemble literature and related rehearsal and performance techniques.
- Play a variety of percussion instruments and music ranging from the standard orchestral instruments, ethnic percussion with a focus on Brazilian music, junk percussion, and other invented instruments suitable for 20th-century style music (i.e., John Cage, Lou Harrison).
- Learn the techniques, music, and related terminology to the various styles outlined above as assigned by the instructor.
- Have classes that revolve largely around performance practices but also include certain historical aspects.
- Have opportunities to perform in public venues.
Brazilian Ensemble (MUSE 166)
Our Brazilian band lies under the direction of Kurt Rasmussen, accomplished studio percussionist. This group revolves around learning and experiencing the culture of Brazil through their music of their carnivals. Students of this ensemble vary from all levels of experience however come together and perform all over the city and the university.