How do we use them? We use hashtags strategically to supplement the content we are sharing on social media and to build a community with a common interest in the content tagged with a hashtag. We choose hashtags that meet one or more of our goals and make sure that it enhances the content that is shared by providing our audiences with a logical, meaningful connection to additional posts.
The primary reasons for UNLV to use hashtags include:
- Identifying university events or initiatives to provide a searchable archive of content and to build a community around the content (these are typically hashtags we create, such as #UNLVGrad)
- Identifying posts with certain key terms so our content is included within larger online conversations (these are typically industry hashtags or trending hashtags)
- Providing an opportunity to gather user-generated content
- Feeding key content into UNLV’s website
- Increasing engagement on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
When using hashtags, always follow camel case and capitalize the first letter of every word (for example use #RebelsMakeItHappen rather than #rebelsmakeithappen). This is a better accessibility practice for people using assistive technologies.