Guidelines For Commercial Filming and Photography

Filming on the UNLV Campus

The University of Nevada, Las Vegas approves filming and photography requests that are consistent with the university’s brand and mission. To film on the UNLV campus, productions must not interfere with normal university business. The Office of Public Affairs is responsible for granting film permits for all UNLV campuses and satellite locations. We screen and process all requests for approval and coordinate with the various campus units on behalf of the production.

Commercial filming includes but is not limited to: motion pictures, television shows, documentaries and web-series that do not center UNLV in its subject matter. Additionally, shooting for professional photography, public service announcements or other projects not related to UNLV or its programs including recording live events for web or social media use require a campus filming permit.

Please review the filming guidelines below and contact Alcinia Whiters at 702-895-3102 or for more information.


Alcinia Whiters
Phone: 702-895-3102

Guidelines for campus filming

All requests for commercial filming, photography, or other video productions such as television must be directed to the Office of Public Affairs. Permission must be granted by the Office of Public Affairs in order to film on the UNLV main campus or any of its satellite locations.

UNLV retains the right to approve subject matter filmed on our campus. The requester should detail the subject matter in a narrative and/or storyboard format. In some circumstances, full script review may be required. Please note: The Office of Public Affairs will deny such requests where the subject matter is deemed inconsistent with the goals, mission and values of the University.


  1. Advanced notice is required. We require at least 4 weeks for major productions and a minimum of 2 weeks for smaller productions.
  2. A narrative summary or storyboard of the entire project in addition to the scenes being petitioned to film on the UNLV campus must be provided.
  3. A signed UNLV location release is required. Please allow additional time to negotiate the terms of the release with university counsel.
  4. A certificate of insurance naming the NSHE Board of Regents on behalf of UNLV as additional insured. The COI should provide general liability coverage of at least $1,000,000 combined single limit per occurrence and $2,000,000 annual aggregate. Additional coverages may be necessary based on the operations and activities of the filming event.
  5. Permit fees paid prior to filming. The campus filming permit fee plus any facility reservation fees must be paid in advance of the filming date. Acceptable forms of payment include checks made payable to the “Board of Regents” or a credit card with a signed authorization form.

Fee Schedule

Production Size ½ day filming Full day filming
Small $850 per day $1,100 per day
Large $1,400 per day $1,800 per day
Photography $300 $300


Submit your request to film on campus via email at and include the following information:

  • Title of the project
  • A narrative summary and scene description
  • Desired campus location or description of the setting type
  • Desired filming dates and times
  • Total number in cast and crew (including extras)
  • Equipment list
  • Name of the production company, managing producer and the distributor (if applicable)
  • Where the footage will air/be released

The Office of Public Affairs will review your submission and contact you within 2 to 3 business days to discuss availability, schedule a location scout and go over any additional required information.

Filming your booked event at a University venue

If a production company is being hired out to tape the event to air on television or part of marketing or promotional materials for the company/organization then it falls within the guidelines of commercial filming and the normal procedures for commercial film requests applies. If taping will occur to document or preserve record of the event not to be publicized at large then no commercial permit form is required.

News Media

News photography and filming does not require a film permit. All news outlets should contact the Office of Media Relations prior to arriving on campus.

Tony Allen, Director

Keyonna Summers, Media Specialist

Main line

Student Filming

Students are not required to obtain a commercial filming permit from the Office of Public Affairs if their filming is related to academic course work or on behalf of a registered student organization. However, students must obtain permission from campus facility managers, including paying reservation fees, to film inside any campus buildings.

UNLV Faculty & Staff

If you are contacted by a film or television producer about filming on any parts of campus please refer them to the Office of Public Affairs at 702-895-3102. Permission to film anywhere on the UNLV campus can only be granted by the Office of Public Affairs with the exception of student projects related to academic course work or a registered student organization. If our office approves a commercial filming request then we will contact you directly to inquire about scheduling, availability and fees.