First generation faculty members face many of the same challenges entering their first jobs in higher education as they did when they were first generation students pursuing their academic degrees. Some of these challenges include:
- Being unfamiliar with the new environment
- Difficulty accessing campus and community resources
- Making networking connections for collaborative opportunities
- Understanding how to navigate the tenure and promotion process
At UNLV, the Intersection serves as a connection point to help new faculty members acclimate to our campus. We provide monthly gatherings that allow for faculty to meet, share ideas and information, and connect with others over a cup of coffee. These networking events have resulted in partnerships for academic programming, interdisciplinary research collaborations, and making faculty feel welcomed, valued, and part of the UNLV family.
The Intersection helps faculty:
- Become familiar with the UNLV campus and the local Las Vegas community
- Interpret university policies and procedures
- Receive resource materials
- Resolve student/faculty issues
- Secure information and resources for faculty to aid students in personal distress (anxiety, depression, homelessness, food insecurity, etc.)
- Collaborate with faculty in meeting service requirements
- Identify students for faculty mentoring opportunities, research assistance and participation, and feedback for proposed projects
We encourage all members of the UNLV community to stop by our office and let us know how we can best serve you. Our endeavors have been the direct and transparent result of hearing what our students, faculty, and staff need to be successful. We specialize in making cross-campus connections, bridging community resources for common interests, and making ideas come to life!
Join Our First-Generation Mailing List
The Intersection’s First Generation initiative aims to provide academic support, a welcoming environment, and networking opportunities to first-generation students, faculty, and staff at UNLV. With the information you provide, we can keep you informed and help you make connections with other individuals that share the same interests. Join here.
First-Generation Faculty and Staff Directory
If you are a faculty or staff member who identifies as a first-generation college graduate, please fill out this form to be included in the directory. Access the inaugural edition of the UNLV First-Generation Faculty & Staff Directory is now available.