Doctor of Philosophy - Computer Science
Graduate degree programs in the Department of Computer Science provide students the opportunity to study different subject areas of computing science, conduct research in specialized areas, and make original contributions to the field.
Our graduate programs, leading to MS and PhD degrees, are designed to pursue research at the frontiers of computer science and application areas. The graduate program is supported by faculty who are actively participating in research and development in specialized areas such as algorithm analysis, database systems, document image processing, scheduling, computational geometry, computer security, parallel programming, programming languages, and multi-media. Four in-house computer laboratories support teaching and research activities.
When preparing your thesis or dissertation, the graduate college requires that you follow certain guidelines. If you are preparing your document in LaTeX, the department has developed an approved style file, along with examples of how to use it, which assures that your document satisfies the formatting guidelines.
For information regarding accreditation at UNLV, please head over to Academic Program Accreditations.
- Exhibit a breadth of knowledge in the areas of algorithms, programming languages and compilers, theory, operating systems, and computer architecture.
- Exhibit a depth of knowledge in at least one specialized area of computer science.
- Conduct a thorough literature survey on a research topic.
The Computer Science PhD program gives you the opportunity to study different areas, including:
- Design and analysis of algorithms
- Operating and distributed systems
- Computer architecture and networking
- Computational geometry and robotics
- Computer graphics and image processing
- Programming languages and compiler construction
- Artificial intelligence and expert systems
- Database design, document analysis, and retrieval Software Engineering
- Market Research Analyst
- Business Development Manager
- Competitive Intelligence Analyst
- Quantitative Analyst
- Medical Communication Specialist
- Healthcare Information Technology Specialist
- Operations Research Analyst
- Postdocs and assistant professor