The Master of Science degree in Geoscience is designed to prepare students for a broad range of challenging careers in government service, private consulting, and industry. This thesis-based degree program also serves as a stepping-stone for those students who wish to pursue further graduate studies at the Doctoral level. Working closely with their advisor, students focus on original research in one of several areas of specialization, including: petrology, volcanology, economic geology, structural geology, sedimentary geology, geochemistry, hydrology, soil science, climate change, petroleum geology, and paleontology. Students are expected to develop original research suitable for submission to a refereed scientific journal. Students are expected to have strong content knowledge in their area of emphasis, which is tested during the culminating defense of their thesis research.
For information regarding accreditation at UNLV, please head over to Academic Program Accreditations.
- Demonstrate an understanding and appreciation for scientific inquiry/scientific method.
- Demonstrate the ability to define a research problem by identifying questions and formulating tests of hypotheses.
- Demonstrate the ability to search existing scientific literature for work relevant to a specific problem.
- Demonstrate the ability to execute problem-specific skills at an advanced level.
- Demonstrate the ability to design and carry out a substantial independent research project through to completion.
- Demonstrate the ability to successfully present the results of a scientific inquiry in both oral and written formats.
- 101.11 KB
Master of Science - Geoscience
Plans of Study