Master of Science - Emergency and Crisis Management
This degree is designed to give students the theoretical and practical knowledge necessary to become leaders in their profession. Specifically, the mission of the program is to provide a well-rounded graduate learning experience to current and future crisis and emergency management leaders for effectively addressing natural, intentional, and technical disasters.
This program is geared for individuals who are working full-time and cannot easily come to campus and is principally completed on-line with six long weekends on campus. Students learn: The general framework of Emergency Management and Homeland Security; Leadership, management and coordination skills for Emergency Management and Homeland Security; Community preparedness, mitigation, response and recovery from natural and man-made disasters; and, actually participate in exercise planning and execution.
- Analyze the evolution of emergency management policy and practice in natural, intentional and technical disasters to include the scientific principles in defining, measuring, planning and recovering from these events.
- Identify the characteristics, growth and trends of terrorism as well as the underlying social, political and economic causes as it relates to emergency management.
- Differentiate the authority, responsibility, legislation and policies between levels of government tasked with managing natural, intentional and technical disasters.
- Evaluate organizational leadership theories and individual styles as well as decision making models used in coordinating with internal or external stakeholders.
- Investigate community vulnerability and resilience to include the psychological, economic and sociological impacts on individuals and groups through the development and implementation of exercise elements and organizational response plans.
- Analyze the principles in the prevention, planning, risk, mitigation, response and recovery, culminating in the design of a comprehensive emergency management program incorporating operational procedures and available resources.
UNLV is unable to provide fully online education to students from certain states. Visit the State Compliance page for more information.