The Bachelor of Arts in Mathematical Sciences is designed to include a large level of flexibility to serve students in a variety of areas in Mathematical Sciences and statistics: pure math, computational math, applied math, and statistics.
The degree requires students to take a one-semester course in the following standard areas: Real Analysis, Algebra, Differential Equations, and Statistics. To ensure students have an appropriate level of breadth, 12 additional 400-level Department of Mathematical Sciences (DMS) courses are required. To ensure students have an appropriate level of depth, two (2) one-year sequences must be included. Also required are the standard courses at the freshman and sophomore level such as calculus and linear algebra. The DMS courses required for this degree are identical to the Bachelor of Science. The Bachelor of Science has more stringent course requirements than the Bachelor of Arts with regards to non-DMS required courses.
For information regarding accreditation at UNLV, please head over to Academic Program Accreditations.
- Demonstrate a solid understanding of differential (1A), integral (1B), and multivariable (1C) calculus, and be able to apply these concepts to a variety of problems.
- Demonstrate a solid understanding of vector calculus (2A), linear algebra (2B), ordinary differential equations (2C), higher-level algebra (2D), and analysis (2E), and be able to apply these concepts to a variety of problems.
- Be able to think analytically and critically and to formulate problems, solve them, and interpret their solutions.
- Achieve an understanding of the nature of proof, in particular should demonstrate a good understanding of rigorous mathematical proof (reading and writing), and apply the reasoning based on definitions, axioms, theorems, and induction.
- Communicate effectively in writing.
- Have experience applying knowledge from one branch of mathematics to another and from mathematics to other disciplines.
Technology Jobs, Systems Biology Jobs, Data Analyst Jobs, Data Entry Jobs, SAS Programmer Jobs, Clinical Trials Jobs, Data Mining and Data Privacy Jobs, Finance and Economics Jobs, Climatology Jobs, Statistics Jobs, Credit Risk Jobs, Web Analytics Jobs, Pharmaceutical Jobs, Business Intelligence Jobs, Market Research Jobs, Data Warehouse Jobs, Decision Support Jobs, Quantitative Jobs.
Bachelor of Arts in Mathematical Sciences
Plans of Study