Bachelor of Arts in Art; Concentration in Photography
The Department of Art offers its students an education in the visual arts as an integral part of a comprehensive educational experience. Our degree programs offer intense, professional education in the aesthetics and theories of the visual arts. Students will be trained in the skills and intellectual awareness that are the basis for a future of creative and professional achievement in the visual arts.
The Photography Area of Concentration provides students with a solid foundation in technical, aesthetic, conceptual, critical and practical skills necessary to thrive in the challenging and diverse world of photography. Students in this area work in traditional and non-traditional mediums with a pluralistic approach to picture making, learning both film-based and digital technology with emphasis placed on photography as a Fine Art. Students will define their individual photographic style in terms of both content and approach, and once technical and conceptual skills are solidified, students develop a portfolio that shows their unique personal view of image making.
For accreditation information, please head over to Academic Program Accreditations.
Upon completion of the BA in Photography, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate functional levels of drawing skills with varied media.
- Recognize and be able to interpret major works of art pertaining to the art history courses taken.
- Demonstrate working knowledge of the elements and principles of students’ chosen area of concentration
- Articulate and critically respond to both familiar and unfamiliar works of art through critical dialogue.
- Understand the function of presentation and/or the exhibition process of personal works in public gallery or other cultural venues.
- Demonstrate technical, aesthetic and conceptual skills in traditional, digital and experimental photographic processes.
- Produce a portfolio of work suitable for seeking professional opportunities in photography.
The options for employment in the field of photography are many and varied. Students who want to work in the field discover that there are a wide variety of options; here are just a few of the job titles that are available in the field of photography today.
- Fine Art Photographer
- Photographer’s Assistant
- Studio Photographer
- Wedding Photographer
- Photographic Stylist
- Freelance Photographer
- Digital Image Specialist
- Portrait Photographer
- Lab Technician
- Editorial Photographer
- Industrial/Corporate Photographer
- Product Photographer
- Fashion Photographer
- Studio Owner/Manager
- Photographic Sales
- Stock Photographer