Bachelor of Arts in Art; Concentration in Painting, Drawing, and Printmaking
The Department of Art offers its students an education in the visual arts as an integral part of a comprehensive educational experience. Our degree programs offer intense, professional education in the aesthetics and theories of the visual arts. Students will be trained in the skills and intellectual awareness that are the basis for a future of creative and professional achievement in the visual arts.
Painting, Drawing & Printmaking Concentration
The Painting, Drawing & Printmaking concentration at UNLV focuses on the exploration of two-dimensional areas. Students have the opportunity to encounter a variety of processes including intaglio, lithography, the drawing techniques and media of watercolor, acrylic and oil painting. Communication skills are developed through periodical critiques. Historical and contemporary examples are presented and discussed in class, resulting in a thorough investigation within the concentration.
For information regarding accreditation at UNLV, please head over to Academic Program Accreditations.
Upon completion of the BA in Painting, Drawing & Printmaking, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate functional levels of drawing skills with varied media.
- Recognize and be able to interpret major works of art pertaining to the art history courses taken.
- Demonstrate working knowledge of the elements and principles of students' chosen area of concentration
- Articulate and critically respond to both familiar and unfamiliar works of art through critical dialogue.
- Understand the function of presentation and/or the exhibition process of personal works in public gallery or other cultural venue.
Students are prepared for a variety of careers in the visual arts from practicing studio artist to gallery and museum work, illustration. The BA in Art with a concentration in painting, drawing and printmaking also prepares students for graduate study on the MA or MFA level.
If there are no Plans of Study listed under this program, they may be listed under one of its sub-plans.