Graduate Conditional Licensure Certificate for Secondary Teaching
The Department of Teaching & Learning holds as its central mission the preparation and development of educators at all levels. The department ensures that its professional education programs are based on essential knowledge, established and current research findings, and sound professional practice. The Department offers a M.Ed. in 17 areas of concentration as well as a M.S. in 13 of those areas. The master's degree consists of required core courses coupled with courses specifically related to the area of concentration. A culminating experience or thesis concludes the degree and provides evidence of the knowledge, skills, and dispositions gained while in the program.
The Conditional Licensure Certificate for Secondary Teaching program is a graduate certificate program designed for individuals who want to acquire secondary school teaching knowledge, skills and dispositions to meet the needs or demands of teaching in secondary schools. The certificate program is suitable for students with no prior secondary background. The certificate provides candidates with meeting conditional licensure course requirements so that they may eligible for hire in Nevada. Please note that in order to be eligible for hire in Nevada, candidates must also meet testing and other requirements beyond this coursework.
For information regarding accreditation at UNLV, please head over to Academic Program Accreditations.
Upon completion of this program, graduates will be able to:
- Explain the strength and weakness of different teaching strategies and their research bases.
- Recognize the relationship among teaching strategies, needs of individual students and assessment of student learning.
- Recognize the influences of teachers’ beliefs on their decisions about teaching strategies.
- Discuss history, perspectives, process, components of curriculum development, and research bases for curriculum development.
- Observe, reflect, and analyze different teaching strategies in action and choose proper teaching strategies for particular teaching goals and objectives.
- Meet conditional licensure course requirements so that they may eligible for hire in Nevada.