Carolee Dodge Francis, DreamCatcher Scholarship
Dr. Carolee Dodge Francis is a Native American researcher and the Executive Director for the American Indian Research and Education Center (AIREC) at UNLV. She is also Associate Professor within the UNLV School of Public Health. Once a first generation student, Dr. Dodge Francis knows the financial struggles that can be associated with obtaining a graduate degree. Dr. Dodge Francis wishes to endow a fund that can provide much needed financial support to graduate students, with preference given to American Indian or Native American students. It is her intention and philanthropic goal to endow the Carolee Dodge Francis, DreamCatcher Scholarship so that it may provide financial support in perpetuity for generations of Native American graduate students to come.
Upon admission to the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, students may pursue the Scholarship through a separate application process. The UNLV Graduate College awards committee will review the applications and determine which applicants meet the criteria of the Scholarship, which shall be awarded to one or more student(s) in the amount of $1,000 (or higher, as determined by the UNLV Graduate College) per academic year. The final candidate(s) shall be selected by the UNLV Graduate College awards committee.
The Carolee Dodge Francis, DreamCatcher Scholarship shall be awarded to a student with the following criteria:
- Student(s) must be formally admitted to a UNLV graduate program;
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 in their current graduate program;
- Graduate students who have proven involvement with, and preference given, to American Indian or Native American students;
- Applicant(s) will submit a letter of recommendation from the American Indian Alliance;
- Applicant(s) will include their tribal affiliation (if any) and provide a statement on the following question with their application: How will your degree impact Tribal communities or the Native American population;
- Recipients may reapply for this scholarship in subsequent years, provided they maintain the scholarship criteria and remain in good standing with the institution, but preference will be given to students who have not received the Carolee Dodge Francis, DreamCatcher Scholarship previously.
If you are interested in making a gift to the fund, please follow the following steps:
Please visit the Graduate College Giving Page and select “Carolee Dodge Francis, DreamCatcher Scholarship” under the Designation drop down menu.
Please make a check out to the “UNLV Foundation” and write “Carolee Dodge Francis, DreamCatcher Scholarship #002-331257-000” in the memo line of the check.
For any questions regarding gift giving, please contact Liz Kahane, Graduate College Director of Development, at 702-895-3429 or Elizabeth.firstname.lastname@example.org.