Roles and Responsibilities
Student responsibility is the key to all development, yet it is also important that everyone involved, including advisors and parents, play an active role in their student’s college experience. Learn about the different roles and responsibilities that will help students have a successful and meaningful college experience.
- Student Roles and Responsibilities
- Regularly schedule and keep academic advising appointments.
- Communicate openly and honestly with your academic advisor regarding issues that affect your educational goals and academic performance.
- Maintain a professional relationship with your academic advisor by arriving on time; being prepared for your appointments; and calling if you need to reschedule.
- Take responsibility for your academic success by utilizing the tools provided. Examples include undergraduate catalogues, degree sheets, college and university websites, and academic calendars.
- Maintain a file with relevant academic materials and follow through with your academic advisor's recommendations.
- Advisor Responsibilities
- Create and maintain an interactive environment encouraging mutual trust and open communication.
- Provide students with information and resources to promote academic progress.
- Empower students to take responsibility for their academic success.
- Stay informed of current and changing rules, regulations and program requirements.
- Refer students to campus services relevant to their individual needs.
- Collaborate with peers by participating in the exchange of ideas, information and philosophies through professional development.
- Parent Roles and Responsibilities
- Be available to support and encourage.
- Maintain regular contact.
- Offer advice (when appropriate).
- Encourage students to do things they can do for themselves.
- Allow students to make mistakes in this safe environment.
The above information comes from Menezes, M.D. (2005). Advisors and parents: Together building stronger advising relationships.
Retrieved July 11, 2007, from the NACADA Clearinghouse of Academic Advising Resources website.