The risk management and insurance minor is designed for Lee Business School or math major students who desire to acquire significant risk management and insurance acumen for career opportunities within the industry group or as valuable knowledge to be used in other business or financial pursuits.
For information regarding accreditation at UNLV, please head over to Academic Program Accreditations.
- Describe the principles of risk.
- Apply risk management processes, both traditional and enterprise risk management (ERM).
- Compare the domestic and London insurance market systems.
- Explain insurance distribution systems.
- Communicate professionally (both speech and written).
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment.
- Demonstrate above average analytical skills.
- Describe the present value of money concepts.
The insurance and risk management career opportunities are at an all-time high due to several factors: the combination of industry growth, delayed professional and executive level retirements that are now compounding industry human capital shortages, and a strong sense of urgency among employers for increased diversity in the workplace to name a few.
Contrary to a misconception held by many, industry professional entry career paths are varied and mostly technical in nature. Those paths include, but are not limited, to the following:
- Claims adjusting
- Risk management
- Premium Audit
- Insurance sales and consulting
- Safety engineering
- Surety bonds
- Account managers
Minor in Risk Management and Insurance
Plans of Study