Master of Healthcare Interior Design
The Master of Healthcare Interior Design program is the only post-professional degree program in North America that provides a cross-disciplinary and research/innovation-driven educational experience that is responsive to current and projected modes of professional practice in the design of health promoting and healthcare environments. The professional development of the students is further enhanced by the program's unique collaborative relationship with healthcare entities that provide opportunities to relate the needs of real-life patients, who are most directly affected by the designed environment, to the development of neuroscience-informed environmental design strategies. Project presentations and structured meetings with specialists in neurology, psychiatry, and neuropsychology are integral to the students' educational experience. The program is designed to further develop early or mid-career professionals' knowledge and skills to enable them to more effectively participate in the integrated design and project delivery processes of built environments that are increasingly being considered as one of three modalities — pharmacologic, behavioral, and environmental — for improving the quality of human life and health.
For information regarding accreditation at UNLV, please head over to Academic Program Accreditations.
- Specialized knowledge and skills to effectively participate in design and project delivery processes of health promoting and healthcare environments.
- An understanding of the United States healthcare system (general goals, structure, and performance) and its relationship to the professional practice of healthcare design.
- Comprehensive understanding of knowledge transfer and translation in the development of project-specific design-research problem-solving approaches to neuroscience-informed environmental design strategies.
- In-depth knowledge relevant to the design and planning of building interiors as having the potential to be integral to innovative approaches required to address delivery of high quality, economically-efficient healthcare that is one of the key economic, societal and scientific challenges in the United States.
- Ability to effectively communicate research, conceptual and technical information in graphic, oral and written forms.
- Theoretical and philosophical foundation evident in environmental design to pursue lifelong self-directed learning and professional development.
The $3 Trillion United States healthcare market, the largest healthcare industry in the world, by 2018 will comprise approximately 18% of gross domestic product. It will present unprecedented opportunities to a new generation of entrepreneurial healthcare design professionals to engage in neuroscience-informed and creativity driven innovative professional practice. Graduates of the program are well prepared to make a seamless transition into this new era of design thinking and advance onto positions of increased responsibilities and achievement of professional licensure within the broad sectors of healthcare, corporate, hospitality, educational and residential design.